• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got to demo an 85D the other day.

B.U.S.I.

Occupation
Owner operator
i want to demo that same machine. how did you like it?

I liked it a lot. Smooth and stable. I was digging in soft clay with a 46" wide clean up bucket. The 85D is basically the same as the 75D but it has a swing boom. This allowed me to dig about 10' wide, nice and square to the machine without repositioning. The cab is a bit smaller than the 75D because of the clearance required when the boom is swung fully to the left.
If I were to get one I would opt for the road-liner style pads as 90% of my work is on asphalt.

nedly05

I Ran a 75ZTS last fall a little bit, it was super comfortable and super smooth, but it just didnt seem to have the power I thought it should. It felt like a mini compared to the Kobelco. Maybe the D series is better? What did you think of it power wise?

B.U.S.I.

Occupation
Owner operator
I don't really have anything else the same size to compare it too. Everything I operate is either much smaller (17D) or way bigger (Cat 330L). For its size it did well. It maybe could use a bit more stick crowd power, but bucket curl and boom power were really good.

Personally, I really like the D-series machines compared to earlier series.

nedly05

Nedly and B.U.S.I, do you know if the machines you ran had the short or long stick?

Cant be sure but from looking at the pics I would say the one I ran had the longer stick. It had a hydraulic thumb, so that always makes it look shorter to me, but I would say the long one.