• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gordon Franklin Collection

64Pacific

Gordon Franklin Collection

Not too sure if the quote will work or not but I am curious about the tree shear.we have a couple at the local museum, were these shop made or a product offering? Any idea where the photo was taken? am wondering if it is one of ours at the museum....

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Not too sure if the quote will work or not but I am curious about the tree shear.we have a couple at the local museum, were these shop made or a product offering? Any idea where the photo was taken? am wondering if it is one of ours at the museum....
Most of these pictures were taken in Manitoba , Ontario and Quebec . While we were still logging in the "Berry Patches" on the West Coast of B.C. , Eastern lumber jacks were trying to make a living harvesting the smaller size timber stands of Eastern Canada . Mechanized timber harvesting started as early or earlier than the 1950's back East . The tree shear was the first method of cutting down a tree with an early faller / buncher . The bar / chain cut off saw on faller/bunchers and processors came much later . I can remember a "Cat" showing up at BCFP Renfrew Division with a tree shear mounted on the front , to fall some smaller timber in the 1970's . I think it came from the Interior , It didn't work out and didn't stay long . Some may have been "home built" but I think most in these pictures were manufactured .