• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good running pony motor

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have seen either this one or another like this before. The pony motor is still their. The one I seen had the rods and pistons removed from the original pony and was just turning to use the pinion and starting controls. It had a v-belt pully secured to the existing pony flywheel and simply tightening the belt turned the existing pony. No heat, they just take a little longer cranking under compression to warm up. That D4 has a PTO and the Cat 44 front hydraulic unit, both desirable to the collectors.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I worked on some 12V71's on big drilling compressors that were set up with a belt driven Bendix starter drive and used a 2 cylinder Wisconsin with a Rockford clutch to start them. Worked great when you could make the Wisconsin run. :rolleyes: later I was commissioned to put electric starters and a charging system on those engines.