• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good hard hat that stays attached?

ichudov

I use hard hats, but I also actually work in them, for example bending down, etc. They do not really stay attached and often fall, which I hate. Any suggestions for hard hats that just hold on well somehow and are generally comfortable?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I used to get Nortons that had a welding hood style ratchet headgear that worked pretty well, not too tight, not too loose. Of course I was using a welding hood on blades about half the time too.

crane operator

I don't like the MSA skullgard hats unless I'm welding or torching, I think they are a little heavy. The MSA skullgard phenolics aren't plastic so they won't melt/ pit. They are kind of expensive, but they last a long time. They are the "standard".

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Skullgard-Protective-Fas-Trac-Suspension/dp/B07PSYQY7G

I like the jackson ones with the ratchet headgear. This is the one I wear:

https://www.amazon.com/KCC14842-Jac...son+hard+hats&qid=1562809356&s=gateway&sr=8-3

They all can kind of fall off, I've gotten into the habit of wearing mine all the time, and now I feel lost without it on. I've got a MSA plastic one and I don't like it as well, its my "truck" hat, that I wear if I can't find my jackson. The ratchet headgear on the MSA doesn't fit my head as well as the jackson one.

I think the wide brim ones are nice for being out in the sun, I just find them too big for in and out of the cab all the time. That's the thing I really like about the jackson hat over my MSA hard hat, its smaller. I always wear mine with the brim to the rear also, I just find it stays on better that way.

Find a welding supply or construction supply place that has a selection of them for sale, maybe grainger, airgas, fastenal? Go test fit a couple, or if your just getting the plastic ones, at $10-20 each by a couple different ones from amazon and send back the ones that don't fit. What I like and fits my head, other guys may find uncomfortable. MSA, Jackson, Bullard, are the three brands I'm most familiar with.

The $90 phenolic MSA skullgards use the same suspension that the $20 plastic MSA helmets use, so if you're still test fitting don't spend the big $.

They used to offer a chinstrap with the old leather suspension skullgards, and they offer something like it still, the bridge guys and ironworkers working at height are usually the only guys I see with chinstraps. The bridge guys don't want to lose their hats in the water, the ironworkers, don't want theirs to fall on someone. If you are working in and out and up and down in bad spots, and can stand to have on a chinstrap, its the only sure way to keep it on.

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Hardhat-...strial&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

41Ozumsa-vL.jpg

John Griffin

If you can wear them on your job site, I really like the petzl vertex climbing helmets for actually working in. They are designed to be worn all day. We use them all the time as they stay on your head. You can even get them electrical rated. They don't have a brim which is nice if operating a crane. Attaching earmuffs is also easy if you need that. Peltor 105s are my favorites. We gave up on the msa style hard hats a while back due to hem falling off our guys heads all the time.