• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good article on the state of our industry.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
interesting article. msn just had a piece on the 10 most dangerous jobs in America. logging was #1

Wacko

I was expecting the article to blast contractors for whatever reason, but it's good to see that more consideration is given to the contractor. The machinery available now is 20 years too late for the money. I still don't understand how you can expect to get good contractors who know what they're doing and with the right equipment mix and only offer them a three year deal dictated largely on the forest company terms.

Scott S

I was expecting the article to blast contractors for whatever reason, but it's good to see that more consideration is given to the contractor. The machinery available now is 20 years too late for the money. I still don't understand how you can expect to get good contractors who know what they're doing and with the right equipment mix and only offer them a three year deal dictated largely on the forest company terms.

Try doing it contract to contract, I know of nobody in our region getting anything more.

Scott S

Scott S

Would you be able to elaborate a bit please?

Sure, we are a contract logging company currently working for a major landowner here in the NW. While we do have a yearly master contract all of our operations are done with a understanding that the current logging site may be the last one.

Scott S

Wacko

Sure, we are a contract logging company currently working for a major landowner here in the NW. While we do have a yearly master contract all of our operations are done with a understanding that the current logging site may be the last one.

Scott S

Ah ok thank you!

Is it not incredibly hard to find personnel and the likes?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Re: every job could be the last one.

Really no different than any contractor anywhere in any field. You are only as good as your last job. Being still in business is a testimony to your professionalism.