• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

going to buy a mini ex please advise

sidry

Occupation
PhD-student fluid dynamics (graduate in 3 weeks)
Hi, I am new to this forum, and I apologize if it seems like I am "invading" this thread. I do have a question that is somewhat related to barklee's starting post: I am thinking of buying an IHI 35J mini excavator. Do any of you guys have any (good) experience with this piece of equipment?

BigBubba

One possibility is that the rental company who originally run the machine disconnected the 2nd speed (don't know why though!!) Can you ask them??

Hi Strott...Actually the second speed worked fine before I replaced the two solenoids, now it doesn't work. I have checked wiring and all seems to be OK. The fuse is good. Any thoughts?

optherockman

I have a pc78-mr, and love it. it may be a bit big for you but maybe a 58 would do? I had a Kobelco 45 oldie but a goodie. I rent a CAT303.5 and it is an awesome little machine. After my experiences with my CAT 257b MTL, and Komatsu exc. I will only buy CAT from here on in(both machines are great but my CAT dealer is great).

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To get 12' your looking at 5-6 ton machines. Depending on how closed you average worksite is you might need to be looking at zero tail swing machines, or atleast short tail swings.

Out of curiousity do you use a backhoe to dig around foundations now? To match the perfomance of say a 310J a 7 ton machine would be about right. 12-14' dig depth, 11,000-12,000lb breakout and reduced tail swing machines can still get in some relatively tight side yards.

X2, my Sumitomo "8K lb" will dig 10' but you are digging right under the blade and you really need to stand up to see where you are digging. The zero turn feature is awesome, one less worry when i am digging right next to the foundation. A friend of mine has an older Yanmar Y3 with 0-turn and can dig 12' with no issues. It is a 12k lb machine so it is a little tougher to tow around but it still gets in tight spots and can do alot of work that bigger machines can do. So as said a 12k lb machine with 0-turn is the way to go, what kind of machine is up to you. You will have to do some research on warranties, weight vs. power, digging depth, lifting power, auxillary hydrolics, what kind of tail, location of filters for maintenance, etc.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Hi Strott...Actually the second speed worked fine before I replaced the two solenoids, now it doesn't work. I have checked wiring and all seems to be OK. The fuse is good. Any thoughts?

All I can think is that the solenoids are either wrong for the machine or they are not opening enough - either way it sounds as if they are not releasing enough extra oil to the track motors to increase the speed as essentially that is how the tracking speed is increased.

Does the engine sound strained when you press the 2 speed button?

Colorado Digger

yeah don't give up on bobcat. I know they are still building the standard machines at the plant. but the 60 and 80 are doosan's someting like that. i love bobcat's because they are built here.

BigBubba

All I can think is that the solenoids are either wrong for the machine or they are not opening enough - either way it sounds as if they are not releasing enough extra oil to the track motors to increase the speed as essentially that is how the tracking speed is increased.

Does the engine sound strained when you press the 2 speed button?

Hi Strott...nope the engine does not sound strained. It is like nothing happened. If the solenoid wasn't new I would figure you were right that it was bad...I suppose it could still be bad. I guess I will have to trace the wiring and perhaps wire from the battery to the seloniod direct to test the selonoid.

s-moe

Just got a Tak 53FR and love it so far. Side to side boom is an amazing option.

s-moe

KSSS, if you could send me a PM message I would love to get in contact with you about the Tak 53 I just purchased. I have limited priviledges on this forum right now so I cannot send you a private message.

NL1CAT

Occupation
Operator
Years ago when all the mini ex where like karate guys , the Yanmar really positive suprised me with the controls.
Smooth operation... i liked it.

S.T.Large

Occupation
trucking,earthmoving,land clearing
don't buy a GEHL mini hoe - my neighbor has one- says it was the least expensive to buy, but can't get most parts readily. We used it when brand new + it seemed o.k. but has had some issues trying to get parts!?? It's only a year old.