• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

gmc c7000 carburetor

pro94lt1

I've got several c7000s with 366 big blocks and governed holley carbs that are wore out the throttle blades catch on the bore of the carb so I sometimes have no throttle. Has anyone put a traditional carb on? Also how about the pto fast idle I like being able to flip a switch for fast idle... help please my concern is how these will work and the fast idle...

Moonlite

I did put a 4 barrel quadrajet on one customer wasn't happy with performance. Suggest sending yours off and having it rebuilt by rebuilder. Your local parts store can have it done for you.

Old Doug

I dont like Holleys on trucks.Go to a parts store that sells some Hotrod stuff like Oreilys and get a edelbrock carburater. I have put them on several 366/427GMs 361,391460 fords. THe quadrajet is a very good one but finding one that will feed a big block is not easy and i dont know if they make one that will bolt to your intake. Holleys are very hit and miss. They dont like dirty condtions and ruff treatment.Their was a Chevy dealer that sold alot of trucks i knew one of the mechanic that worked their they would replace the holleys alot of time before they sold them and had kits made to doit.My dads last IH truck had a new holley 2 barrel on it. It ran ok but not great i worked on it some and made it better. One day i replaced it with a ford 2 barrel and it was a new truck. You can use a ac solenoid for the fast idle. I would not put a holley back on any thing if i could find some thing else.

pro94lt1

Thanks guys I've got a 600 edelbrock just didn't know if anyone had done it and I love quadrajets they just don't love me...

pro94lt1

Also I'm getting 7-9 mpg which is pretty good in my opinion I don't need to drop down with a edelbrock or non governed holley

ValleyFirewood

I wish mine got that! I average about 5mpg.
I have a 427. I couldn't imagine doing with less engine, its gutless enough as is!

pro94lt1

The one getting the best mileage is a really light truck it weighs around 10k with 9.00x20 tires. So the edelbrock do well on big blocks?

pro94lt1

I put a 600 edelbrock on and I'm wishing I'd done this a long time ago... anyone fabbed up the a/c solenoid for fast idle? I wonder if it will bring the rpms up to 1k?

Old Doug

I put a 600 edelbrock on and I'm wishing I'd done this a long time ago... anyone fabbed up the a/c solenoid for fast idle? I wonder if it will bring the rpms up to 1k?

I dont understand why Truck maufactuers evey used the holleys. Maybe when every thing was new it was ok.I made a braket for the solenoid to bolt on the carb to intake bolt. Some of them are adjustable.

pro94lt1

I dont understand why Truck maufactuers evey used the holleys. Maybe when every thing was new it was ok.I made a braket for the solenoid to bolt on the carb to intake bolt. Some of them are adjustable.
How much rpms can you get out of the solenoid? mine needs to raise them up to around 1k

pro94lt1

Well I'm really confused now... first off these trucks now accelerate much smoother the dump truck I put a 600 edelbrock on it really has more power I put a 750cfm on the grapple truck it now won't run over 55 how all idles well the foot pedal is opening the blades 100% only thing I can think is theirs not enough vacuum to open the secondary. ..

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can you hook up a hand vacuum pump to the secondaries to see if the are working? Maybe check for vacuum with a gauge and compare to the one with the 600 edelbrock? Check to make sure you didn't forget to plug off a vacuum fitting on the intake somewhere.

pro94lt1

Your right I may have left something unhooked I'm not sure where or how to check the secondaries... This has me down the grapple is always loaded n needs the power when the holley ran right it'd run out really good

Old Doug

I dont think there is a way to use a vac pump. Did you try it when it wasnt under a load?

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
Keep in mind an industrial big block will usually make more power within its designed rpm range with a 600-650cfm 4bbl carburetor. Also while an Edelbrock/Carter is close no carb is a bolt on part, no matter what anyone says. At least get yourself the proper calibration kit, find your self a nice close hill and adjust to get the highest mph. Once you find your top mph if fuel economy suffers you can go up a couple thou. on your metering rods. No you cannot use a pump on secondarys as they are weighted doors on the edelbrock, spring loaded on QJets and Holleys you can pull diaphragm housing of compress rod into housing and put your finger over the hole. If it wont stay in its got a whole.

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
BTW, Holleys are fantastic carburetors. My preffered carb for industrial big blocks is a mid eightys Ford Motorcraft/Holley 4bbl with annular primary boosters.

pro94lt1

Well I got them both running great... put the 600 cfm on my dump truck it really runs a lot better with power and drivability. The grapple truck got the 750 and along with carb replacement I replaced the distributor with a non governed one. However the timing advance is very lazy on this new distributor it would take 20-30 seconds for it to calm back down to its actual advance I had it set way off. Got it set at 8btdc and found my secondaries were hitting the gasket had to adjust the mounting... now it runs perfect. I top out around 60mph where I run put of road...