• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GM 2 stroke diesel

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I still have my old MAC fuel line socket. It is easy to over tighten the fuel line cross over nut. As stated above; the right tight is good, too tight is bad.

If you don't have the socket, tighten the nuts by hand, use the wrench to make it just snug, then give it a little more. You are pulling down on brass against steel so gentle is the word.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Thanks for all the good advice. Took valve covers off and can certainly see the potential for leakage at those tubes. However cannot see leakage around any of these tubes. Used brake clean to dry area up. Ran it both hot and cold. Could not see any leakage. Used heat gun on manifold. No noticeable difference on any of the cylinders and seems to run fine. On face of injector there is a frost plug and below that the throttling rod. Can it leak around this rod? Rod so very close to the bottom of the injector housing and very difficult to see if any of them are leaking there. Thanks

Yes, you can have a leak from the plunger that will drain out through the control rack holes. One thing I have done with hard to find leaks on Detroits is to plug the return line and pressurize the inlet line with 70-80 psi of air and watch all the usual suspect areas without the engine running and splattering oil everywhere. Sometimes you will actually see bubbles, That trick has found many a leak in series 60 engines for me.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I still have my old MAC fuel line socket. It is easy to over tighten the fuel line cross over nut. As stated above; the right tight is good, too tight is bad.

If you don't have the socket, tighten the nuts by hand, use the wrench to make it just snug, then give it a little more. You are pulling down on brass against steel so gentle is the word.
No brass in those tubes... all steel with a copper flash plating.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
On face of injector there is a frost plug and below that the throttling rod. Can it leak around this rod? Rod so very close to the bottom of the injector housing and very difficult to see if any of them are leaking there. Thanks

First of it's somewhat of a pet-peeve of mine not liking the terms "frost plug" or "freeze plug" so I won't even go into that right now, Google it and do some reading!

Any how is the "plug" you are referencing the one that is marked "N65" in the picture below?

N65.png

If that is what you are asking about the easy answers is no, that is just a tag snapped into a bore in the body to let you know what "size" the injector is and that is it's only function!

Maybe it is just the angle of the picture but that one does not look right as the spring is way too compressed for an injector that is out of an engine!

I do like the idea of hooking air pressure to the line or fitting that comes from the secondary filter and plugging the line that is the return to the tank and putting some pressure in the system. You don't want to put pressure into the fuel pump but the rest of the system would be fine.

Only thing is if you have an air system that has a lot of water in the lines you don't want to fill the injectors with water. Water in the injectors can cause tips to fail and if it is in there long enough to start rusting the next start up could get a bit exciting to say the least!

Just thought of something else. Don't forget to be looking for leaks at the bottom of the adapters the lines to the injectors hook to in the head!

Old Doug

What is the diffrents between a 6v53 in a truck and a piece of equipment? A buddy died and i got one he had it has a flexplate on it also the manifolds are pointing to the front but he had a flywheel and clutch seting by it. Also if its didnt come with a turbo what would it take internaly to make it work?I have worked on 2 cylinders,v12s and every thing in between but dont remember every think.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
What is the diffrents between a 6v53 in a truck and a piece of equipment? A buddy died and i got one he had it has a flexplate on it also the manifolds are pointing to the front but he had a flywheel and clutch seting by it. Also if its didnt come with a turbo what would it take internaly to make it work?I have worked on 2 cylinders,v12s and every thing in between but dont remember every think.
Not sure there is an easy answer to that question. The first thing I would expect to be different would be the type of governor they have. Instead of me trying to explain and make a mistake read this:
http://www.waybuilder.net/sweethaven/MechTech/Automotive01/default.asp?unNum=4&lesNum=4&modNum=5

Not too familiar with the 53 series but in the 71 series turbos often had the two piece cross head pistons where the rods were actually bolted to wrist pins. Again more familiar with 71 and the turbo models of those had blowers with piston ring type seals in place of the rubber lip type seals on the ones I worked on. Also some of the turbo engines had by-pass blowers where boost pressure could go to the cylinders without going through the blower. Then some turbo engine had an inter-cooler under the blower.

I know not much help huh? Detroits are kind of like the stuff in you kitchen, just depends on which ingredients you pull off the shelf and how you mix them together to get what you want. While this is also true of other engines I think the 2-stroke Detroits carried it to the extreme! About the only thing I don't recall seeing or hearing about with a Detroit is an airplane but even that would not really surprise me, they did make some aluminum block engines!

td25c

That would be my guess as well . Speed limiting vs variable speed governor ?

Have a 4-53 in the #2 Grove crane house unit set up with " speed limiting " governor .

Have to drive the winch drum like a truck with the foot throttle . Ya get used to it . :)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
You can certainly use an engine with a variable speed type governor in a truck though, in fact from what I have tried I prefer it to be that way. So if that is the only hangup with a 6v53 that you want to try I say go for it anyway with the variable speed governor intact. So long as the max RPM is not set too low.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
You can certainly use an engine with a variable speed type governor in a truck though, in fact from what I have tried I prefer it to be that way. So if that is the only hangup with a 6v53 that you want to try I say go for it anyway with the variable speed governor intact. So long as the max RPM is not set too low.
I drove a 12V71 powered Peterbilt Cabover with the Variable speed governor, The hand throttle was just like cruise control, But you had to make sure the booster spring was set to the max or she would bend throttle linkage parts.

td25c

Any idea where to install the governor on an 8 - V 38 Ford application ?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Any idea where to install the governor on an 8 - V 38 Ford application ?

You have the wrong front cover on that blower, I'll see if can find the right part number. You probably need a 6V-71 front cover with the proper fuel rods to the heads, you might want to look at using a yield link in the governor too... Wait wut? Now you gotta change the heads too? You are just too confusing for me. ;)

td25c

That's what I tolled the Pioneer Seed feller . We need you guys to find us another set of heads & rods before race day ….

LOL :D

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
You have the wrong front cover on that blower, I'll see if can find the right part number. You probably need a 6V-71 front cover with the proper fuel rods to the heads, you might want to look at using a yield link in the governor too... Wait wut? Now you gotta change the heads too? You are just too confusing for me. ;)

I think you should put a vacuum governor off a older Fordson Major Diesel tractor on it. Put a reversing bell crank on it. The more boost you make the more vacuum it will think it sees and open the throttle more. You won't even need a throttle pedal. I think it may be perpetual motion for a short while. :eek::eek::eek: OOPs, Back to topic

Truck Shop

Now that everyone has thrown their ideas at this smoker here is mine. Do you like smoked salmon if so stuff the stack in the salmons mouth and let it rip. Now truth- fully
at the price I have seen 2 strokes going for just have one as a stand-by that runs out good. The engines complete are cheap but parts are not so run it til it grenades.

Truck Shop