• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gillig bus converted- Looking for retarder info

Frankhaddad

Detroit series 50 engine, Allison transmission. This unit has been modified into a motor home. Retarder does not work, wired to schematics that I could find with a module and joystick type controller as well as on/off switch. Have not been able to get it to activate during road tests. Have two codes Engine speed sensor, (22-14) and oil level (14-12). Not sure if these will have an effect on it activating or not. Also the cooling fan is supposed to be PWM variable speed but runs wide open. I have run the wire from engine ECU to fan solenoid, customer mentioned he had a Sauer-Danfoss unit but I can't find it in any drawings. The running gear (engine, tranny, etc) are all from a gillig bus mid 80's. Any info would be a great help!

Truck Shop

Engine speed sensor has to be hooked up and operable. Does the engine have a A/C unit? The Ac is also wired into the engine fan, A/C pressure switch, engine fan switch?

Frankhaddad

Engine speed sensor has to be hooked up and operable. Does the engine have a A/C unit? The Ac is also wired into the engine fan, A/C pressure switch, engine fan switch?
I can see the speed sensor on the schematics but not sure where to find it physically. And no, it was not equipped with A/C.

Frankhaddad

I can see the speed sensor on the schematics but not sure where to find it physically. And no, it was not equipped with A/C.
I also noticed on one schematic for the engine speed sensor that this is an optional harness? Would it be the flywheel sensor? I will trace that circuit out on my next visit. Any thoughts are great. Thank you.