• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

getting into excavating

gmc2500

i am going to expand off the landscaping and start excavating i was thinking of just like doing trenches and things like that then work up from there. was wondering how to get started and get into this and how would i get jobs to start off. also how do you charge for excavating do you by the hour or job. anything would be helpfull. thanks

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
part time excavator/backhoe operator
Don't know if this will apply to your idea, however, I have Kubota L 48 TLB,and I do a lot of trenching for underground electric and the likes.. occasional small stump removal, backfilling, and lately, trenching for stone, block walls. I like this machine simply because of being rubber tired, easy to manuever around, and of course the front bucket gets it's fair share of work also. There are those jobs out there, that a machine like mine can do it, however, a mini excavator would be better,, Look around your area at all the jobs going on and look at what is being used to complete those jobs... You may be able to create a special niche in your neighborhood with a new excavator, or then again, with careful study, there may already be a bunch doing it...

Electra_Glide

I"m in a similar situiation as you. I started an excavating business last year as a "side" business. The dream is to do full-time, but the reality is you gotta make sure you can pay the bills.

Just the other day I was having a conversation with a well-established contractor who I was introduced to about how to expand my business. He used to be in the excavation business, but moved on to do finished carpentry. The guy is pretty successful, and now has a 15-man crew doing finish carpentry for large-scale commercial contracts. Built it up from just himself to where he now routinely turns away contracts in the six-figure range due to too much work, so I believe that the guy knows what he's talking about.

His comment to me was "Everybody already has a excavator that they use, but they're probably not happy with them." The challenge is to understand why they're not happy and figure out how you can develop a way to differentiate yourself from the rest. His other piece of advice was to move towards the "finish" end of the business: finish grading, new lawn installations, and lanscaping.

A common theme I've found around here is that lots of guys just want to show up with their machine, unload, and start slingin' dirt. They don't want to get off the machine for any reason. If you need something else done, that's your problem. I'm trying to exploit that by offering more of a "turn-key" service for site work. I handle all the logistics, materials, and installation for things like french drains and storm water management. I'm also building a relationship with a landscape architect so I can come in and offer a complete service for site reclamation. Everything from lawn installation to retaining walls. Again, I'm trying to offer a complete service, and not just be the guy who comes in and pushes the dirt.

Will it work? Only time will tell. So far I have one good contact who I've done some "basic" dirt work for. I did the digging, but he did everything else. I pitched my "service" model to him, but he already had everything in motion, since he was used to working with his old excavator. He was happy with the work and with the price, so on the next project, he's willing to try my model. I'm working on developing a second contact now.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and care and be safe...

Joe

dayexco

i hate working by the hour unless it's repair work...i feel we make lots more bucks by the job. just have to maintain production levels over what typically is maintained in your area by those who charge by the hour. many of my customers would refuse hourly rates anyway...they want to know the end $$$ before we start, can't say as i blame them. find yourself a "good" developer in the area....not the one who picks up the cheapest whore on the corner. make sure they have a good rep....cater to him, bill him fairly, be there when wanted, do what was asked on time...repeat customers is where it's at...huge developers will typically go looking every job for the cheapest price. i've found i'm better off with 5-6 good developers that i've established and maintained a good working relationship with...WHATEVER you do, stay away from what i call "suitcase" contractors....generals who come in with nothing but a jobsite trailer, laptop computer, and a suitcase...they've got nothing involved but office expense, they know nationally what it costs per sq ft to put up a building, tell owner they'll guarantee them a "guaranteed finished price".....then go and hire the cheapest sub-contractors they can find, and run them out 90-120 days on payment...bad news