• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Getting a customer base started

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
Hey guys, i've worked for a cat dealer for 5 years and have been in a service truck for the last 2. I'm wanting to start my own mobile heavy equipment repair business. I want to start small and just do it in my off time for now out of a pick up and when i get more customers buy a service truck with a crane and everything. i want to eventually be able to quit my job and have enough business to work on my own full time and make a decent living. My question is... how do i get my name out there and get some customers calling. i have got some business cards i am about to start passing out but don't know if that will be enough. Any tips on how to get my name out there or advise on starting a business like this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I imagine others here might speak up, but moonlighting might make your retirement a whole lot sooner than you think. Get your business plan in place, dive in deep, an amicable parting with your current employer might lead them to refer some work your way that they don't want or can't handle.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . zack-cat. I am half a world away from you and things are different in different countries (and parts of countries) but here's a couple of thoughts.

First off there is a lot of sense in fast_st's post above but, like you, I would prefer to start small and work my business up.

The main thing about mobile service is that you have to know your bickies.

You must be reliable and be prepared to turn up any time of day or night.

You have to charge fair prices and be immaculate with your paperwork and invoicing.

You have to have more than adequate liability insurance.

Given all the above you should be able to make a living with your knowledge, hand tools and an oxy set and welder.
I am constantly amazed at what Americans see as 'necessary' in a service truck and while it may be nice to have all the bells and whistles, as a customer, I would be hesitant to pay the rates required for an independent fitter to show up on my site with bogie-drive Kenworth fitted with a five ton hydraulic crane . . . I've probably got a Franner or a trackhoe around and when you're ready I'll do the lift myself.

Keep it small and don't overcapitalize. Your knowledge is your business and I reckon you are on the right track with business cards and spend time chasing up and getting to know owner operators and managers.

All the best and cheers.

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
i didnt know if it was just where i worked that was like that about the moonlighting but that is also one of my worries, they view that as taking business away and seems to be a quick way to get ran off. i feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to start up a business and keep the day job until i get busy enough to go my own way full time.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
One of your biggest problems could be getting paid after the job is done. Big outfits have a little leaverage here. No more parts maybe untill the account is brought up to date. They also have a lot deeper pockets and people in the office to chase deadbeats. I always found it was nice to know I was getting my cheque every 2 weeks even if the company had to wait for theirs. Company policy was "they can't pay if the machine isn't working" but there were times we were told not to turn a nut untill we had a cheque in hand Don't know how many bounced tho. I watched my dad who had his own buisness always trying to keep his head above water because people didn't pay promptly and decided it wasn't for me. Just something to think about. Regards d.d.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . donkey doctor raises some good points.

In a worst case scenario there is nothing like an injection pump, or perhaps a couple of valve spools wrapped in rag on the seat of your pickup to convince a recalcitrant that a negotiated funds transfer might be a good idea.

Cheers.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . donkey doctor. Such things of course open the door to all sorts of legal and physical confrontation but some times a bloke has to do what it takes.

As a repair man I have been accused of being 'a parasite feeding on the misfortunes of others' and, after being stung very early in my career I just did not put up with waiting for my money . . . and I won't wear that nonsense about 'can't pay until the machine is working'.

As I have mentioned way back in other posts I had no interest in supplying parts and any hire of pullers, cranes and what not went straight to the clients account . . . be very suspicious of any client who asks you to add these items to the bill.

As stated before my knowledge and ability was my business and I couldn't justify any equipment that wouldn't easily fit on the back of a one ton trayback.

Cheers.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
I have done the same as you are trying to do. Went full time almost 6 years ago and started part time about 10 years ago. I got to the point where I was working all day Saturday and Sunday and every evening from when I got off work till about 10-11. I quit and went out on my own. Hired some help this January and added another truck. Then brought on someone to run the office in May. I was working for an equipment rental company that refused to work on customer owned so no conflict there.

Depending on the type of work you plan to go after will determine how rigged up you will need to be to start. I do a lot of wont starts, hydraulic hoses, cylinder repacks and preventive maintenance calls. So I do not have a crane on either of my 2 trucks but do have a crane bed and a auto crane sitting waiting for install.

If you are going to be a full service guy then you will need a big truck with a big crane to be able to pull engine, tranies and final drives.

HATCHEQUIP

Don't know if you had to sign a form about not working on any machines except thru your dealer but Yancey cat does or did back in the late 80s something you might want to check on they were really picky about it.

Fastdirt

Yeah, I hope you didn't sign a "Cannot Compete" form. The right thing to do is quit your job and do something different to make money and then push your owner operated business. I wouldn't even type what you have already typed about working for Cat and making/passing out business cards. It's just not the way to do it. I'd be livid if an employee had personal business cards on the job. You can make it happen, but you have to find a different job to be able to do it right and then it's fair game. Just the way the world works I guess. Good luck. I know I've looked on Craigslist for a mobile mechanic but didn't have any luck. Mobile mechanics are hard to find, but I've seen them at the parts counters and collected cards.

Oh yeah P.S.: I use this younger mechanic that used to work at Cat as a mobile and shop mechanic and he went out on his own. He has a huge load of work every time I talk to him. He has a little shop full of projects and he is also mobile. He appears to be super busy all the time, but he works on everything too. He's done me right and I trust him because he worked at Cat.

Last edited:

mitch504

Well Scrub, If he is working as a mechanic for you, and telling your customers he'll do it cheaper after hours, why would you keep him and pay him to start his own business competing with you?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I grok that mitch504 but it's just a blanket illogical outlook.

For instance we had a slipway and boat repair facility mainly for shrimp boats but I wouldn't touch outboards. Several of our blokes did outboard work in their off time . . . even used some of our gear, presses ect by arrangement, where's the problem?

Same too with general repairs. Any hand that has the initiative to go out and do bit on the side shouldn't be a problem for an established business.

In my younger days I'd spend a month or so driving heavy haulage in the bush and spend my 'week off' hauling general on the blacktop.

To me it's not an issue.

Cheers.

Fastdirt

What I don't understand is the word "Yair". Sounds like a pirate. My thinking is simple. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Fastdirt

I admit it. I am only as smart as Google. Yair was defined as "He who enlightens". I always wondered what it meant. I still don't understand it completely but, that's okay. it's probably slang.

I do think Cat-Zack has about the best thing going for his future by being a Cat mechanic. Once you say "I was a mechanic at Caterpillar for five years" I think the potential customer will be more than satisfied with that experience.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Fastdirt

Yair was defined as "He who enlightens".

I was quite unaware of that and would no be so presumptuous as to suggest I do much bloody 'enlightening'. (he grins)

I just come on here for entertainment and occasionally offer comment on some thing I know a bit about . . . mainly older dozers, trucks and repairs to them.

The 'yair' thing came about because apparently that's often how I start a sentence in conversation . . . lots of us old bush blokes do it and, when I do it consciously (and sort of draw it out) I find it gives a couple of moments to get the old brain out of neutral and hopefully what I say will be making sense.

Apart from that when I first started on this posting on forums caper I find the prefix
'Yair . . .' helps if I'm looking for old posts.

Cheers