• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Get New Truck Back Thurs

franklinG

Well I have figured out that really good quality workman ship is hard to come by . We developed a oil leak at the pto on the tranny and so the people that put the bed on said to have it checked out and then call then so I did that . Weds took truck to the shop and they called back and said that they retightend bolts and cleaned it off really good and would check it today to see if it was still dripping . About 11:30 the repair shop calls me and says that they needed to pull the pto as it is still dripping so they ddi and the idots at the place that put the bed on the truck did not get all the old gasket off from around the bolt holes:mad: plus they had like a .050 gasket on it which was way too thick and last but least the freaking drain plug in the bopttom of the tranny was finger tight :Banghead :mad: :mad: WILL NOT BE BACK TO THE PLACE I BOUGHT THIS BED FROM FOR SURE!!! Should be able to pick truck up Fri .And if the place we are hauling from has dried out and the dumping site is dry then we will work again Sat:D :notworthy Thank goodness . have a great day and for lettting me vent my anger:mad: .twj

Man that stinks. You really do have to watch where you buy from and read every word of their warranty. Hope that it all worked out!

Fastdirt

Looks like a good truck you got there. I used to be against conversions but I've come to think it's not a bad idea based on $$$$ and you have way more options if you like a big block motor. All the tandems here have smaller motors and average 350hp. The main problem being the frame. Need that double frame or take extra care when hitting bumps, potholes, curbs, etc. A friend of mine had a truck just like yours. Same model Pete and all and it was converted. He was loaded full and backing over the curb to dump. When his front tire hit the curb it cracked the frame like it wanted to pull itself apart. Just keep that in mind if it's not a heavy frame. The frame thickness was thin to me also. Now on the tanks they don't even weigh 100 pounds empty. I took the 130 gallons off my Pete and you could fling them around like paper, very light. I had Alumitank make some. I think they were about $600 brand new for a 90 gallon tank. If you could find the step tank for the passenger side that'd be ideal. My dump truck only has a 50 gallon tank. Ok, but it won't run that 10 hour shift I'm sure. With the space between the bed and cab I'd be going with a "Fatboy" day cab conversion which let's you recline the seat some and then adjust the exhaust back some to hide the gap. Maybe flip the brackets around.

Full locking rears not only give you double traction but they keep your differential locked so there is no gears fighting each other when spinning and catching traction.

CANNOT believe the hourly rate you get. It's too cheap. Here it averages $75 hr. for a tandem. I think that's low personally. Tons of work here though. All the trucks are booked and it's hard to get a truck around here.

mitch504

CANNOT believe the hourly rate you get. It's too cheap. Here it averages $75 hr. for a tandem. I think that's low personally. Tons of work here though. All the trucks are booked and it's hard to get a truck around here.

Well, this thread was 8 years ago. ;)

Back then a tri-axle got about $65, and the very few tandems left got whatever they could. In SC, it's 23 tons, versus 15.

Fastdirt

Well, this thread was 8 years ago. ;)

Back then a tri-axle got about $65, and the very few tandems left got whatever they could. In SC, it's 23 tons, versus 15.

Holy cow it's been a long week. Yep thought this thread was just started. LOL. Geeez.

Yep when I started in mid 90's tandems and Bobcats made $50 hr.