• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Geographical Track Loader use

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The boss had me doing some pioneering and demo with a New 939 for the past several days. We got to BSing he asked how I liked the 939? I told him it wasn't any 977. He said then I got a surprise for you coming and left it at that. Today I got this for a toy it's a beast, like running a monster 9H with a bucket. We had a 980 brought in to make some fills and that loader couldn't touch the production I was getting with the 983 only if it had a 4n1 bucket.

:notworthy That is an awsome machine. I haven't seen a 983 since I was a kid and never had the opportunity to run one. Your lucky and I am jealous.:D

Wolf

Demo with the Loader

So, Dozerboy, how would you compare the 983 to the 977? How was that demo?

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Wawrecker

I was never lucky enough either but I did get to see a 983 go through a 12" concrete wall full of rebar. The operator just rolled up about half throttle and the bucket about half way up and drove into it, the wall just kinda shook and the operator stopped, backed up kicked it up a gear and did it again and it just went right through it! This building also had a basment with a masive boiler that the loader dug itself a ramp, went through the basement walls and just rolled the boiler out of its nest and up the ramp. This took place in the early 90's and the contractor was very old school. This combination led to the asbestos wrap on the boiler getting abated by the loader as it pushed it around the site, rolling it on the dirt. I was a young labor then and didnt realize the magnatude of what had taken place.

Wolf

Amazing Story Wawrecker

That's an amazing story Wawrecker!

I too have seen a 977 roll right through the lobby of an old (1906) theater in San Francisco. The power and the destruction were truely awesome.

lars

Dirtwork, I agree that the MTL/CTL is replacing the small track loader. Even though the rubber tracks seen costly I bet they're still a lower overall cost when compared to steel. You may see some lower prices as some aftermarket people get into the mix too. The biggest advantage I see with the CTL is speed. The ASV that I put some time on could really move. And those UC's can work at a pretty fast pace with no damage. And don't forget that CTL's are cheaper up front too.

Deere seems to be betting on the demise of the small track loader as they ditched the 455/555 machine. Cat is really the only company that offers one but who knows if they will keep the 939 if they are making bigger and bigger MTL's.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Running that 983 was better then running an 80ton hoe. It had no power shortage at all even digging in sand stone it could get a full bucket with very little work. Other then the fact it is slow compared to the 939 the 983 is the best/funniest machine I've ran even without a cab. All the demo was done by the time it showed up and it would of been to big to work in the close quarters I had to. I feel very lucky to run it and I've been told I've had a big sh** eating grin on my face for the past 2 days.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Deere seems to be betting on the demise of the small track loader as they ditched the 455/555 machine. Cat is really the only company that offers one but who knows if they will keep the 939 if they are making bigger and bigger MTL's.

Actually, the 605C is a 90HP machine, just like the 939C is. I'm curious to know its acceptance, but it looks like a fine machine. And I think Liebherr picked up on it with the 614? I may be mixing numbers.

CM1995 -- if you have big pictures of the 953C at work, send them my way -- track loaders are still by far my favorite machine.

lgammon

loaders

well we have a
953b
941b
236 skid

and a 312

we have spent the last 3 days cleaning up where the have logged behind a new house, the 943 does about twice the area a day that the 312 will clean. before we got the track hoe i thought that it would replace the loaders,but after digging a basment with it a couple of times i realized that the loaders are the only way to do it. i do like the track hoe for digging stumps(spent 2 months diging stumps this winter). and trenching deep, and loading trucks in odd spaces. but i think i will always be a loader man

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF lgammon! :drinkup

dirtworksequip

Deere 605C

There is a dealer not far from me that has a 605C for sale that has 100 hours on it. I think they want $140k for it. I was going to check it out just to see how it compared to the Cat 939C. I'm sure its a very nice machine,but $$$$$. too much for me.

Deas Plant

Track loader usage.

Hi, Folks.
Interesting thread with interesting posts.

I worked for 7 years for a local contractor who, when I first started with him, had 8 Cat track loaders, 5 x 941B's, 2 x 943's and a 955L. When I left, his fleet had only 1 x 941, 5 x 943's, a 953B, a 953C, a Cat D5B wide gauge dozer and 3 excavators from 12 to 22 tons. I would guess that he would stand a good chance of having the largest fleet of Cat track loaders in the Southern Hemisphere. All the track loaders and the dozer have rear rippers and all the loaders have 4-in-1 buckets. The dozer has a bull/tilt blade, not a PAT blade.

He had started off with Case track loaders 33 years ago. They nearly broke him in his first 4 years, before he bought his first Cat 941. It worked for him for 26 years before he cannabalised it for parts. He has bought exclusively Cat ever since, except for his excavators.

Almost all of his work is levelling house sites ready for building. Here in South-eastern Queensland, Australia, cellars and basements are unheard of. Most houses are single level with some split-level sites. There are some multi-story houses built on flat pads and some are also built on split-level sites. The most splits I have ever done on one site was five different levels and that happened several times.

Personally, I would not give you 2 paltry pinches of pickled possum manure for an excavator in this sort of work, UNLESS it was ALL dig and load out. Even then, it is FAR easier to cut a level floor with a laser level on a track loader than it is on an excavator. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE running excavators - on the right job. I just don't believe that cutting house pads is the right job.

I spent almost 2 1/2 of those 7 years on the D5B dozer and loved it for cutting house pads - and for every other job I did with it. In spite of the boss' dire predictions, I had NO trouble cleaning out blind corners in an excavation with the dozer, a job normally considered the domain of loaders or excavators. I also had no problem doing split levels and had a couple of house pads with 5 splits on them. The dozer also beats the pants off the track loaders for bulk pushing and handling rock while the track loaders beat the pants off the excavators for moving material more than about 12 metres. The bigger excavators leave both the dozer and the track loaders for dead in the rock, especially the harder rock where rock breakers were needed.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Here ya go Tigerotor - sorry I couldn't get them sooner I have been slammed.
I will try to get better ones later.

Attachments

• DSC02162 (Small) (Small).JPG
    DSC02162 (Small) (Small).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,492
  • DSC02163 (Small).JPG
    DSC02163 (Small).JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,493
  • DSC02164 (Small).JPG
    DSC02164 (Small).JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,525

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
And one more.

Attachments

• DSC02166 (Small).JPG
    DSC02166 (Small).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,473

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
great pictures,i like the 953c,do you will buy a 953d???:D

Probably so but I will wait at least 6-12 months so Cat can get the bugs worked out of them. Our local dealer hasn't even got one yet, but I have put my hands on one and they are sweet.:bouncegri

rino1494

The boss had me doing some pioneering and demo with a New 939 for the past several days. We got to BSing he asked how I liked the 939? I told him it wasn't any 977. He said then I got a surprise for you coming and left it at that. Today I got this for a toy it's a beast, like running a monster 9H with a bucket. We had a 980 brought in to make some fills and that loader couldn't touch the production I was getting with the 983 only if it had a 4n1 bucket.

They are good tractors. My dad used to run one for doing reclamation work. It is basically a D8 with a bucket. Can't keep front idlers on them though because they are so heavy.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
The guys in the second picture must work for the City. :D