• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45/25J one wheel spins in 4wd on ice

bigdog3

Hello, I am new to the forum and have a 1999 year serial number 11263. When loading on a trailer and hitting a slippery spot on the deck or ice on the ground the right rear tire spins out and the rest dont move. Seems to run fine on mud and soft ground. Speed seems to be find in 2wd and 4wd. All other things seem to be fine.

I was told this was normal, but in looking at the hydraulic schematics for the machine it appears to me that more than one wheel should spin because the hydraulic flow is split between the wheels, unless a check valve or relief valve is not working. The same wheel spins out in forward and reverse, as I tried turning the lift around to load. All the wheels are are contacting the ground.

Just wondering what to check first, or if this is indeed normal.

Thanks

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
before serial # 14775 there was an issue with the left front (steer-end) wheel doing the same thing as what your right rear (non-steer end) is doing.
They found that the flow regulator (AD in the schematic attached) was too large and would bypass too much oil past the divider-combiner valve. It would cause the wheel to spin.
This was evident when loading the machine up a delivery trailer when the trailer deck was wet or iced.
Genie changed the flow regulator valve to a smaller one to remedy the issue.

Many times during diagnostics, a technician would swap the two flow regulators to get the front wheel to quit spinning on poor traction surfaces.
This could be the issue.

You may want to swap AD and AC to see if the condition improves.

54815 is the Genie part number for the smaller flow regulator valve.

Also
Sometimes the divider-combiner valves would get swapped during diagnostics.
In the manifold drawing, parts #1 and #17 are the same and can be swapped but #13 is different and can likely cause the issue you are having if it was swapped with 1 or 17.
They all look identical and often mistaken to be the same.
Check to see if the numbers stamped on the valve cartridges at 1 and 17 are the same number and the stamping on 13 is a different number than that on 1 and 17.

Z45 drive manifold schematic.PNG
Z45 drive manifold parts.PNG

bigdog3

Thanks for the detailed reply. It seems that the lift spins out mostly when loading onto a trailer. I will check all the things you mentioned when it warms up.

The basket rotate left/right funtion seems to be erratic also. Swings both ways easily some times and the next time it is like the switch is stuck and it takes 2 or 3 times to get the platform rotate to work and it moves real slow. I am thinkin of taking out the valves for the rotate and making sure they are free and have nothing plugging the ports. Is there a known problem with the platform rotate that I should look at?

Thanks again for the help.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
Looking at the hydraulic and electric schematics we can see that
the Jib Up-Down and Platform Rotate Left-Right Switches both
activate the same valve (B) in the Function Manifold that is located
on the Turntable next to the Lower Control Box.

The difference is when the double pole Platform Rotate Switch is selected,
two additional valves (A) are activated. These valves divert oil away from the
Jib Cylinder and direct it to the Platform Rotate Motor.

We can assume that the valves (B) at the Function Manifold are ok or you
would have mentioned problems with the Jib also.

First thing I would check is the Ground is good at the Jib Rotate Manifold.
If the Ground is not adequate, the problem you describe will happen.
There is Relay inside the Upper Control Box that supplies the B+ Voltage
to the Platform Rotate Valves (A). Verify that the Voltage and Ground
are both present when the Platform Rotate Switch is activated.

If the coils and wiring are ok and power and ground are good then it is possible
there is debris in the Jib-Platform Rotate Manifold intermittently blocking the
0.030" orifice.
Z45 plat rotate-jib hyd.PNG
Z45 plat rotate-jib electric.PNG
Z45 plat rotate-jib hyd parts.PNG

bigdog3

When the platform fails to rotate the jib tries to move slightly. Your explanation for my platform rotate problems helps explain why the jib moves. Will check it out when it warms up. Machine is put to bed for the winter.