• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45/22 Torque hub leaking hydraulic fluid(crack in housing)

mr hatt

https://manuals.gogenielift.com/Parts And Service Manuals/data/Service/Z Booms/IO/32960.pdf
https://www.jms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/resources/Z45_22_operators_manual.pdf

Learned a lot about that machine, it has basically a small hydrostat setup for the drives, according to the hydraulic schematic for your serial number it should have two speed variable displacement drive motors. There's a troubleshooting section in the service manual I linked to that may help.

There should be a toggle switch on the panel, top row left, horn button, then drive enable, then the next toggle should be the two speed, shows a picture of flat or sloped ground if there's anything left of the panel.
I did not know that was a 2 speed switch. I thought it just limited flow for an incline or rough terrain.
Thank you for the service manual. I will dig into it this week.

lantraxco

Happy to help, yeah until I saw the hydraulic schematic I figured it was all gear pumps and geroller motors, guess I was thinking too far back!

mr hatt

Genie's manuals do get me sometimes. On page 4-30 they say you can replace the drive loop hydraulic filter. No details on the location, but they give you a picture and description on how to change a fuel filter. LOL

mr hatt

I am going to do some troubleshooting with that manual and that should give me a better idea of how the systems work together. I'm trying to figure out if I have an electrical, hydraulic, or a mechanical issue. I'm gravitating towards hydraulic, but at least now I can check some of the electrical and get a better idea of what the pressures should be. Thanks again for the manual. I had not come across this particular one before.

mr hatt

The travel seems slower than it should and once warm it struggles up an incline. I haven't ran it much since I bought it, but I used it the other day to trim a tree down a 400ft driveway. When I first got it I had that leak from the torque hub housing where it was pumping out hydraulic fluid. Once I figured out it was the drive motor I had that fixed and had that particular brake hub redone also.
The sensor that detects the boom down seems to be working because it does speed up some when everything is down and retracted.
It took me a sold 10+ minutes to get back up the driveway the other day and at one point it felt like the drives were struggling. Almost like the brakes were dragging or the planetaries were binding.
I work on diesels and some heavy equipment so I'm usually decent at sorting things out, but I know those systems and how they interact. These lifts are just different and it seems like their systems are harder to isolate.