• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie TMZ 34/19 code 10 and 3

Tim McArdle

Looking for advise on a 34/19 lift we just bought that the boom controls will only function in the "down only" mode. Machine is flashing code 10 which has something to do with the circuit boards which are blue by the way, and also when we try to lift we get code 3 which has something to do with the level sensor. I've checked the level sensor and it's seeing movement however from what I've read in the manual I should have only between 0-5 volts as a signal on I believe the blue and yellow wire on the sensor (X and Y axis) but its showing close to 22-24 volts and changes when tilting the sensor. Outriggers are working fine and the machine is seeing that they are down as per the indicator lights. Machine was bought with leaking cylinders and we've repaired those since purchase. seen talk of software that might be able to communicate via laptop to maybe see what the machine is seeing but not having any luck finding it. Don't mind buying parts it needs but just don't want to throw stuff at it that is not needed. Also read about a whole different operating system to get rid of the electronics??

Txhayseed

Generally speaking if you have a level sensor issue you should not be able to use any lift functions.. At the very least you might get slight function and the machine should shut you down quick after because of the level sensor. Can you clarify what controls are down only ? Main boom ? Secondary boom ? Both? Do the functions work from the the ground controls ? Neither ? Are you actually able to get the boom to lift. ? Do you have manual or hydraulic outriggers. I would assume hydraulic but it does matter. Also have you downloaded the supplement manual that gives you the schematic for the new boards ? Have you done the level sensor calibration yet ? It might be as simple as that. I would try the calibration procedure first. That would be a good place to start the trouble shooting process. Need to make sure the level sensor is dialed in first. Code 10 is no communication from basket controls to ground. I would start by unplugging the basket controls and ground controls and ohming it out pin by pin. If the main control cable is good.... Then that just leaves the boards. Level sensor calibration then control cable. That should narrow it down and we can go from there. Hope that makes some since. Got a pool stick in one hand phone and beer balancing in the other. If you need anymore help let us know

Last edited:

Tim McArdle

Ok, so this machine is riddled with issues! I'm going to attempt to tackle one at a time. It does have hydraulic outriggers. They work with the exception now of one. It shows it's getting 24 volt to the solenoid cartridge on the leg cylinder however it is not opening. We found that it had no ground going back to the controller panel so we gave it an artificial ground at the leg and it DID work but now it won't. It still shows power and ground but won't open?? Swapped wires to the leg near it to see if we where dealing with a bad solenoid/ cartridge but the problem moved to that leg. I then went to the plug coming out of the circuit panel and tied in there to see if I was dealing with a broken wire between the panel and the leg however still no operation even though it shows 24 volt when triggered. Makes no sense! Backstory on the problem leg, the wire/leg we're trying to get to going had to be manually retracted when purchased from the leaking cylinder and that particular wire got shorted and pinched in the leg. I was told there where sparks! Fearing it damaged the control board as I can not find any means of protection on these leads (fuse or breakers). As far as the leveling sensor, I have removed it so I can test the wires and move it around to look for response on the signal leads. What I'm seeing and the way the manual reads is it should have 24 volt+, a ground, and then has 2 "signal" wires putting out a range of voltage between 0 and 5 volts. According to the schematics it has a built in voltage regulator to knock down the voltage to 5 volts however I'm getting upwards of 24 volts on my signal wires. It does vary with movement but the voltage overall is too high from what I can tell. If the panel sees that then possibly that is why it's thinking it's not level. Possibly the voltage regulator is bad in the level sensor. When we do get the legs down, the only thing boom wise that will operate is down and all boom functions and rotate which is what it defaults to when it's not level according to the manual. This things a nightmare!

Txhayseed

Yep it gets 24 in 5 out on pin 32 is 24v in pin 33 is ground pin 34 x axis pin 35 y axis. Possible you do have a bad level sensor.. So going to the outrigger. The outrigger in question did work but now it doesn't ? And its just the one out rigger, the others all function correctly ? You moved the wire from the non working outrigger to another outrigger and the problem followed the wiring correct ? Or did the wiring work on either outrigger. Trying to make sure I got that straight first..

Tim McArdle

Thats correct, the problem outrigger worked a few times but only with an "artificial" ground. We jumped direct to the frame with a short wire for ground only. Was thinking maybe a broken wire. Anyway when we lost it I went right close to the control panel to check both power and ground there eliminating the feed wire to the leg. Had power but no ground however when I jump from the power wire near the control where I'm testing, leg won't work even though I'm getting 24 volts there. Don't know if maybe not enough amps possibly? My meter doesn't really put a load on it per say however I have tested at the coil while hooked up and operating and doesn't seem to lose power. And just to confirm, the problem moves when I move the wire from side to side. Meaning our problem leg is right front and if I move that feed wire to the front left and vise versa, I lose the left front and the right works. Leads me to believe something got fried on that leg feed in the panel when the wire shorted. I believe we do have a level sensor problem as well being I'm getting output voltage near 24 volts on both x and y. Poor computer probably thinks the machine is on its top with that kind of signal! Lol. Thanks again!

Txhayseed

Are you also taking into account the out rigger interlock/ pothole switch as well. Its not just power to the coil. If the interlock switch is not functioning you will not have out rigger function. You have to go into the supplement manual to see the schematic. Genie had to come out with a supplement manual because parts of the schematic, service repair manual did not make into the first issuing. You will need to have that download also. Verify that the outrigger in question has a working interlock switch. That's probably what's kicking your ground out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210723-203127.png
    Screenshot_20210723-203127.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 8

Tim McArdle

Ah I see. I will look into that. Makes sense. I figure if I can get all the outriggers working right, then I can move onto the level fault. Thanks so much for the info and I'll update after the next tinkering session!

Tim McArdle

Haven't had a chance to mess with it again yet although I've kinda looked at that schematic and the machine wiring. Is this interlock/ pothole switch the one in the end of the leg? If so, I'll check that as well. It was removed and reinstalled so I can make sure it's good again as well.

Tim McArdle

Ok so we've tinkered a bit today and checked the pothole switch in the end of the leg and it was indeed stuck in. One problem down! Checked out leg coil and still confirmed a ground issue. Got a power probe now to test stuff! Removed the circuit panel and tested each pin that was a ground for the leg coils and found our right front had none. Under very close examination, I found the ribbon burnt between the 2 pins that are grounds. Pin 23 and 25 if I remember right. Soldered a small jumper on the back and continuity test shows all good. Still have to reinstall and I'll update. Thanks so much for all the input once again!

Attachments

• PicsArt_07-31-01.54.34.jpg
    PicsArt_07-31-01.54.34.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7

Tim McArdle

UPDATE, reinstalled the circuit board and we have fully functioning legs again. All lights are responding correctly and machine seems to want to level itself however when it stops it is not level. checked signal wires from level sensor and my voltages are correct now. I did find an added ground from the motor to the chassis that was not factory and I disconnected it. It seemed to be backfeeding 24 volts everywhere?? I'm not sure how to calibrate the level sensor yet so I'll check into that. Still getting code 10 and 3 also. Upper controls are doing nothing at all however if we unplug it, we lose everything. this suckers a nightmare!

Tim McArdle

Machine seems to be leveling ok now. Voltages on level sensor are right close to 2.5 volts where they should be. It does self level now and the pump shuts off at that point. Whenever we try to operate anything we still get code 3 and before that we have a constant code 10 still. Checked power at upper controls and all good as far as power and ground. Upper controls do absolutely nothing. Lower controls will click a solenoid on all down positions but nothing at all in raise. Rotation works from ground controls even though the boom is stowed. I'm in central Illinois and I have no clue where to take this thing that might have software to at least help diagnose. Kinda at a loss with my resources.

Txhayseed

Software is not going to do much. Webgpi (genie software) does not do anything on these machines. They are not controlled by any thing but the board. You can however upload the latest software revision to the ram chip. You can buy the patch cable online and download the latest software from genie for free and upload it yourself. Sometimes that does fix some issues. They get corrupted like computers do sometimes and glitch. The only other system on the machine that you could access with any kind of interface would be the controller it self with a Curtis hand held analyzer but the controller will blink all the codes if there is a fault and will reveal the same basic diagnostic info as the hand held. The boom will rotate even stowed. Its up to the user to make sure that the boom is unlocked and not going to hit anything. Its done that way in case the user has to return the boom to a safe position from ground controls. You still have codes so that will shut down any raise or basket function. They don't want anyone using the machine if it has errors so by default it will shut you down.

Tim McArdle

So we have found that united rentals is our nearest genie dealer and have found they have everything to diagnose this machine. We are going to run it up and have them take a stab at it. We've delt with the service guy there before and he's a good guy. They said 75$ they could diagnose the issue and go from there. Hopefully this will shed some light on our issue. I'll update with what they find. Thanks again for all the input on our situation! Hopefully I can help someone as well.