• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie S-40 Boom lift joysticks stopped working.

Markcz

HI I have a 2005 Genie S-40 Boom lift and both joysticks quit working overnight. With key switch on ground control everything functions properly from the ground control panel. When key is on platform with the foot pedal pushed all of the toggle switched functions properly but neither joystick functions. Also the platform circuit board red and yellow LEDS are both flashing at the same time so I can't read any error codes. The machine worked great the day before and over night no joystick controls. I am thinking that maybe a diode went out or maybe something on the circuit board. There are no visual signs of anything burnt out. I followed the service manuals troubleshooting flow charts but none of them are for the joysticks specifically. Any help with a possible fix would be very much appreciated. I don't want to call a service technician if I don't need one with there high prices and all. Thanks for any help. Mark

Mechanicsville804

Since it worked well the day before and doesn't work now, maybe its just the position it is parked in. Try to start the machine and move it with the ground controls to a new flatter position and see if the basket controls work now.

Markcz

HI Thanks for your help. Unfortunately the ground controls do not have a steering or forward or reverse control on them. The machine is sitting on level ground though.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Does your machine have the ALC-500 circuit board? If yes, are you checking for flash codes with ignition on at platform and engine not running?

Markcz

Sargehw not sure what you mean with value? willie59 it does have the ALC-500 circuit board but the fault and status are both constantly flashing and won't stop. I know that one or the other needs to be on steady while the other flashes a code. The green led for joystick power and for ECU power are on steady and if you step on the pedal the green led comes on for valve power. Are those supposed to be lit up or are they showing a fault in the power for those circuits?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Do you have the engine off, not running? I can't recall for certain, but the only time they should be flashing is if there is a fault, and you'd hear beeps from the alarm. But to check codes, I do know you power up the ignition at the platform but do not start engine.

Angry Mike

Sargehw not sure what you mean with value? willie59 it does have the ALC-500 circuit board but the fault and status are both constantly flashing and won't stop. I know that one or the other needs to be on steady while the other flashes a code. The green led for joystick power and for ECU power are on steady and if you step on the pedal the green led comes on for valve power. Are those supposed to be lit up or are they showing a fault in the power for those circuits?
The yellow will flash the code, then they will flash several times simultaneously, then the red will flash code, and repeats. Did you try resetting the joystick?

Markcz

Yes engine off both stop buttons up key switch on platform. The alarm has been silent this whole time and I am not sure why. I did try resetting one joystick but cannot confirm that it did because the alarm did not beep.

Markcz

The red and yellow lights are like this while one is on the other is off in a constant flashing. Just like if you were to leave one eye open and the other closed back and forth constantly without ever changing. I stood there and watched them for over 5 minutes without any change. I am wondering if the green led above the joystick power on the circuit board is normally on when key switch on platform and both buttons up. Are there other green led's supposed to be on also. I have had this machine for over 7 years now and never had to open the platform box up.

Markcz

I received and replaced the 3 NC switches on the emergency stop button on the platform but that didn't help any. I replaced the NO switch on the horn button also and now the horn works yeah.

Markcz

I think I will at least attach a paper clip to my volt meter and probe the joysticks tiny terminals for power. I don't know what else to do except call a service guy out and I am not looking forward for that invoice.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Pull the connectors to the ALC-500 board, inspect the pins and sockets of the terminal blocks for corrosion or pin/socket damage. It sounds like the ALC-500 is getting power on the black wire pin 3 and ground brown wire pin 1 because the yellow and red LED's work, just not working proper, then you have an input from the footswitch when depressed on pin 2 and 4 white wire, but that's kind of irrelevant with the LED's going bonkers. And I don't know of a way to test and ALC-500, not saying it can't be done, just don't know about that myself. I did have to replace one on an S-60, wasn't even one available in the USA, even from Genie. And they are spendy if they do have one. I ended up getting one built from a company in China for several hundred dollars less than Genie OEM. Installed it on the machine, calibrated the controllers, and it's worked flawless for over a year now.

Markcz

My joysticks are getting power 5 volts to them. I also tried to calibrate one of the joysticks but the alarm never did sound. I have been following the Genie service manual for these procedures. Did you have to draw up a schematic to have a board made or send your bad board to the company? Also did you have to load software to program the new board?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
My joysticks are getting power 5 volts to them. I also tried to calibrate one of the joysticks but the alarm never did sound. I have been following the Genie service manual for these procedures. Did you have to draw up a schematic to have a board made or send your bad board to the company? Also did you have to load software to program the new board?

I can't recall the details, but I was looking at purchasing a board from their website, and like you I was curious about details, will it work. So I sent an email inquiry asking. I knew I was dealing with someone from China, but in the email exchange they asked all the right questions, s/n, 4wd or 2wd, and doing it in good English. I decided to pull the trigger and order. They had to make the board to spec, not "off the shelf". But even with that and shipping from China I received it in about 2 weeks. Installed the board, calibrated joysticks, and it's worked thus far without fail.

Markcz

There is software called WEBGPI that you install on a laptop then you plug into the circuit board while it is on the machine and it allows you to make changes to the board. I would imagine most service technicians use this to troubleshoot.

Markcz

Willie59 Do you have the name of web site that you had your board made? I am having a hard time finding the WEBGPI software to purchase. Genie has it on a thumb drive but won't sell it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie59 Do you have the name of web site that you had your board made? I am having a hard time finding the WEBGPI software to purchase. Genie has it on a thumb drive but won't sell it.

It's been a while, I think over a year ago, but I may have saved email info on that purchase on my work computer, I'll check when I get back to work Monday