• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie 45/22 dual fuel won't start.

Topman

Okay, this is my first post here.
I have a Genie 45/22. I think it was built in 1999? I have had it for around 10 years and use it for work around our property pruning trees etc. It has never really run well but up until now it was mostly usable. Over the years I have managed to correct most of the control issues but now the engine has be stumped.

The engine is a ford LRG 423 dual fuel (gas/propane). It has always been hard to start. I used it mostly on gas because my propane tank aged out and I had to get it recertified before it could be filled. Last week I started it on gas and it was running a little rough so I switched to propane and the engine smoothed right out and ran fine.
But now, this week when I tried to start the engine on gas, it started right up, then started running rough, then quit and would not start again on gas or propane.
I have lots of gas, good fuel pump pumping well, good spark at all plugs and compression around 120 -127 across.
I tried pouring gas down the carb but it still would not fire??? What am I missing? Some sensor? The anti-diesel shut-off valve has @ 9 volts when running the starter. I removed and bench tested the valve with a battery and it seemed to function normally. I was thinking that 9 volts should be enough to retract the needle valve?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Topman

Update:...
This morning I went out to the boom lift and turned the key, hit the start toggle and it started immediately.??
It ran rough for a while and then smoothed out a little using the fast idle switch off and on. I adjusted the idle screw and also adjusted the auto choke.
It continued to run until I turned it off. WTF??

Topman

Another update:
After removing the carb and giving it a good basic cleaning I still had the "no start" problem. But what I noticed after installing the carb I could see it was flooding badly.
This unit has a fuel pressure regulator and what I found out was that the regulator was stuck wide open.
I took the regulator apart and cleaned it. After I re-installed the regulator, I adjusted it until the engine would start and run smoothly. So far so good. Starts and runs well now.
Time will tell for how long.