• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie 2668RT Scissor only running while holding starter

Hey everyone,

Just fixed the lifting problem I was having when a new one popped up. Well, this problem has been off and on, and led to me replacing the fuel hoses. It seemed intermittent and kind of cleared up for a bit, but is now happening more and more often.

The machine will only stay running while holding the starter. As soon as I let off, it dies. Again, sometimes it will randomly not have this problem. This leads me to believe that it's electrical in nature, but I can't narrow it down to where.

There doesn't appear to be a coolant level sensor. I tried unplugging and also grounding the oil pressure switch to see if there was any change. The oil level is good and no reason to suspect low oil pressure. Connections on the alternator look good, but I suppose it's possible that it's giving out low output. I haven't been able to keep it running lately to test output while running. The display very briefly showed an 02 Platform fault, so I checked for continuity on the wires between the control panels, and all was good. I pulled apart the upper control panel and there were signs of a past short between the red and white wires in the 5 port plug into the PCB, so I cleaned it up and cleaned the solder joints and put it back together. It worked for a little and then stopped again later with the same symptoms. I ordered a new PCB to try so that I can rule that out... I'm not sure how the machine is 'killing itself' either. I jumped a hot wire to the coil and tried and when doing that, it runs for about two seconds and then dies again. I've studied the electrical in the service and the parts manuals and can't find anything obvious as far as what I could bypass. All wires and connections on the relays for the start and ignition relay look good.

Any ideas?

Also, occasionally the lower display just 'flashes' off and on rhythmically and will not do anything. Seems to rectify if I put jumpers on the battery, but the battery shouldn't be low. All grounds and connections to battery look good.

skata

Not sure about this model, but on other genies the computer looks for input from the alternator to know if engine is running or not.