• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GEM Yarders.........

Redwood Climber

It was about 1974 or 75 I was riding my dirt bike on the local timber company land out of Mckinleyville, Ca. I came around the corner and here was a small yarder. It had a tube about 50' tall, with six guylines I believe. If I had to guess it was a Skagit BU50 drum set. It was all mounted on a Kenworth truck. I believe it belonged to Jackman & Cox at the time........anyone know of it or others? Was it one of a kind, or did someone make a bunch? It said GEM on the tower......it was a cool rig, I would love to learn more.......who out there has pictures?

lg junior

It was about 1974 or 75 I was riding my dirt bike on the local timber company land out of Mckinleyville, Ca. I came around the corner and here was a small yarder. It had a tube about 50' tall, with six guylines I believe. If I had to guess it was a Skagit BU50 drum set. It was all mounted on a Kenworth truck. I believe it belonged to Jackman & Cox at the time........anyone know of it or others? Was it one of a kind, or did someone make a bunch? It said GEM on the tower......it was a cool rig, I would love to learn more.......who out there has pictures?

I remember the Gem yarders, the ones I saw were all truck mounts with big front tires. Like you I wish I would have taken pictures. Seems like I remember them as being the same color as the Edcos not sure if there could be a connection.

Redwood Climber

Thanks Lg Junior...........Do you know where they were built? I don't remember what color this one was.........but the tower was white. I believe it was on a Kenworth. I remember being fascinated by it. How many of them have you seen?

lg junior

Thanks Lg Junior...........Do you know where they were built? I don't remember what color this one was.........but the tower was white. I believe it was on a Kenworth. I remember being fascinated by it. How many of them have you seen?

I only remember ever seeing two of the Gem yarders, white tower as you described,one I believe was red. Long time ago!