• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl 4600 wheel bearing ??

butchfig8

Gehl 4600, Outer wheel bearing, 4 bolt flange bearing is off, do not know which side of flange to press 2" I.D. roller bearing out,
All i have is a parts book, shows the roller bearing inside of flange in parts pic
Do i press the roller bearing towards the machine side of flange ? or towards the wheel side of flange ?
12 ton press did not move roller bearing towards the machine side of flange

lantraxco

If it looks something like this which is what I would guess from the parts book:

Flange bearing.jpg

Notice the notches in the housing? If your housing has those, you need to turn the bearing sideways until it will slip out through those notches. No pressing, pressing make go boom. Apologies if your bearing does not look like this.

butchfig8

Yes my housing has the notches, no grease zert, a grease tube runs down the the inside of the chain case,
do not know how grease actually gets into bearing ?
chain case too narrow to fit arm into to work on, poor design
Thanks for the info

Chrisbur99

I know I'm off topic a little, but at witts end. I just purchased a gehl 4600 as a project, it is missing the starter. Does anyone in here have a part number for the starter, or willing to look on your machine for a part number?
The part number out of the parts manual is no longer current. Like i said in at the end of the road here and would appreciate anyone's info on the starter.

Chrisbur99

Gehl 4600, Outer wheel bearing, 4 bolt flange bearing is off, do not know which side of flange to press 2" I.D. roller bearing out,
All i have is a parts book, shows the roller bearing inside of flange in parts pic
Do i press the roller bearing towards the machine side of flange ? or towards the wheel side of flange ?
12 ton press did not move roller bearing towards the machine side of flange
Do you still have this machine? If so can you peak at the starter and grab the numbers off it?

Chrisbur99

We have a 3510, and a 4510. Both are ford gas engines.
This is a gehl 4600 with a perkins 4.108 diesel.
They only made them for about 4 years and seem to be a unicorn on finding the starter.
I have the parts diagram, repair manual and original operating manual; but none of those numbers cross reference into anything.

Pds0

This is a gehl 4600 with a perkins 4.108 diesel.
They only made them for about 4 years and seem to be a unicorn on finding the starter.
I have the parts diagram, repair manual and original operating manual; but none of those numbers cross reference into anything.
Did you find a starter? I've got a 4108 in a gehl.