• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gear oil for final drives

SDTN

the manual for my 2007 Gehl CTL80 says to use SAE90 GL4 in the final drives. Can't find it anywhere. can't get Gehl to reply to my question about what to use. there is a lot of GL5 oil available. is there any "yellow " metal in the drives that would be harmed by using 85W140 GL5? or are there better recommendations?

skata

You may try a lower unit lube for boat motors. It is usually a 90 weight GL4.
That's the only gl4 I could ever find.
I've used 75w-90 for a while, but I think that was too thin. Could see some glitter in the old oil. I use 85w140 now.

SDTN

Thanks for the replies. I can find 85W140 in GL5 , but not GL4. It looks like I can find TO-4 SAE50 by Sunoco and Phillips 66 online in 5gal pails. I haven't tried the Cat dealer.
any experience with Sunoco or Phillips?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Taki excavators spec the same oil in the drives. This is a helpful thread, I need to change out the drive oil in my Taki 153.

Bluox

the manual for my 2007 Gehl CTL80 says to use SAE90 GL4 in the final drives. Can't find it anywhere. can't get Gehl to reply to my question about what to use. there is a lot of GL5 oil available. is there any "yellow " metal in the drives that would be harmed by using 85W140 GL5? or are there better recommendations?
GL5 is a newer spec. than GL4 so it will be fine . Do not use a TO4 oil that is not a EP type oil.
Bob

SDTN

Lots of good info. Read a lot about oil. It is my understanding that GL5 has more EP additives than GL4. These extra additives make it corrosive to “yellow metals” such a bronze, brass. Newer GL5 oils may be buffered to solve the corrosion issue, but I don’t know this as fact.
So I guess my real question, is there any yellow metal in a gehl ctl80 final drive that could be harmed by using GL5 rated oil? Can seem to get Gehl dealer to answer this question.

Bluox

If you look on the GL5 bucket you should see meets GL4 service requirements and the yellow metals story is mostly story.
Bob

SDTN

Hi Bob,
Yes, the oils I have researched that are marked GL4/GL5, indicate that they meet the specifications for both.
Yet some give the “yellow metal” caution and recommend using GL4, if that is what the manufacturer recommends. thanks again for your help.

SDTN

Of course most of this is centered around using the oil in a transmission, rather in a final drive on a compact track loader.
Thanks again

SDTN

Anyone used Shell Omala S2 G 220 gear oil in a compact track loader final drive? This looks to be readily available in 5 Gal bucket.