• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

G'day from Australia......another one of us!

bruce michael

Occupation
Plant Operator/Truck Driver
Hi all
My names Bruce and I work in the Bowen Basin in Central Queensland, Australia.

My background is Government (management). I started out in Queensland Forestry back in 1981 as a Junior and the plant operators used to give me a go on all of the machinery they were using. After a while I got my tickets and thought this is where my career was headed! So wrong...the bosses at the time thought I wasn't "bright" enough to be a plant operator and sent me off to school to become an Ranger. Since that time I have had many jobs in Government such as a TAFE Teacher, Park Ranger and Fire Service Inspector. On days off I used to help out a couple of mates who had graders and diggers just to keep my "eye" in, but all the time the "bug" was still there! Early this tear I sent in my resignation to Government and started driving semi Water Trucks for a new Rail Line in the Bowen Basin (didn't like this at all...too repetitive, although the money was good!) About 6 weeks ago a local contractor up here gave me a start on a body tipper when a day later their grader operator left them and he put me on a Cat 12h 9very steep learning curve!!). Just finished a 25km gravel road maintenance grade in cluding re-sheeting serveral sections of it for a local council...and they loved it!
I found this forum by doing a search on "grader techniques" and boy what a site! A lot of the stuff I learned years I ago I've forgot and this site has so much good information and so many very experienced operators willing to share their experiences!

regards
Bruce

stondad

Occupation
Truck Driver
Welcome Bruce from Maurie in Hervey Bay, Even though I'm only a junior member and new like you are.
Yes, it's a great site and we are in the presence of a lot of great people from around the world.
I run a big volume rigid tipper carting landscape material and it's a long time since I did roadworks but I know you are very lucky to get on a grader so soon.
You must be doing ok otherwise you wouldn't still be there.
Stay humble. Look, listen and learn as much as you can.
Cheers. Maurie.

bruce michael

Occupation
Plant Operator/Truck Driver
Thanks Maurie
I think I was thrown in the deep end! Sink or swim!
I keep on asking questions particulay of my mates who have been on graders for 30+ years (racked up one hell of a phone bill for the first month). I can honestly say I have learned new things every day of the week, remembered a lot of things too and will continue to learn!!! There is no doubt I'll be asking a lot of questions on this forum, and I hope that most of the people here will forgive my naivety?
Good to see so many Aussies on this forum!

Cheers
Bruce

redline

Occupation
Plant operator and Tenkate plant hire
hi bruce. welcome from another bowen basin lad.

I am at german creek (lake Lyndsay)

hey john, going thru gin gin tomorrow night on my way home from xmas lol

r_steven

Hi everyone, looking through the forum and this thread caught my eye. Good to see so many Queenslanders on here! I'm a fitter and turner from maryborough. Almost everything I have learned about operating our excavator and dozer came from here (and I hope there's plenty more to come). There's plenty of good people on here who are very knowledgeable and always ready to help out( such as yourselves:notworthy)

Keep up The good work!

stondad

Occupation
Truck Driver
G'day r_steven.

Yes it is a great site.

You better give me a ring on 0407155966 so we can talk about each other and everybody else in the area because I am only 30km away at Hervey Bay!

Lets see if we already know each other?

r_steven

Hi stondad, somehow I missed your post, sorry about that. I work for the sugar factory now, I'm supposed to be operating their new cane harvester if it ever stops raining! My name is Ross Steven, I come from down the pocket (behind the sugar mill) once again sorry about missing your post!

stondad

Occupation
Truck Driver
G'day Ross, Yes it is a bit wet. This tread must have popped up to you yesterday too with that dating scam.
I live in the same street as the Piggford's cane farm and a stone throw from the Petersons. Know Steve Fermoyle and the family and the Doyles. You will have seen my red volvo 8wheeler tipper around town but I have parked it and am driving a log truck for Stutzy at the moment.
The rain is giving us a hard time too. By the look of the forcast you wont get a start for another fortnight.
What is the new harvester like?
Cheers. Maurie Stone.

TEC

Alright, I think we're at our quota of Australians, especially Queenslanders.

Welcome to the forum Bruce

stondad

Occupation
Truck Driver
Alright, I think we're at our quota of Australians, especially Queenslanders.

Welcome to the forum Bruce

Yep. I'll have a go and Willie will moderate. Did I do something wrong with my last post?
Detroit is not the centre of the universe and neither is the USA. I have the greatest respect for you and your country and there are reasons for you to show Australians and New Zealanders the same respect.
This Forum is a big help to members around the world so when was there a limit placed on the number of posts, comments, or members from anywhere ?

Your post is obviously provocative and I am in just the right mood to reply in the way that I have.

My name and phone number is public property so please phone me if there is a problem.

Sorry Willie. I know the rules but how could I let this one go by?

Cheers. Maurie

TEC

Stondad

Although it's hard to get across with just the printed word, this comment was meant as tongue in cheek. You are correct, Detroit/USA are not the center of the universe, that would be Canada as I'm Canadian. My sister has also settled in Australia, on my visits I have traveled up and down the eastern coast and have enjoyed every minute. If your immigration laws weren't so restrictive, I would probably be settled in Queensland right now, even if my house was built on stilts.

I hope to be back down there in January to insult some southern Australians. Usually it's the Americans that have the thin skins, maybe I need to start using those smiley things. I will keep your number and if I'm in the area we can head down to the club for a schooner, again no offense was meant.

Tom

Last edited:

stondad

Occupation
Truck Driver
Hi Tom,

I'm so sorry for getting the wrong idea. Thanks for your kind words. Would love to have a beer with you (what a way to make friends!) and we might even lure Ross from Maryborough into trouble as well.
I get your sense of humour now. The best time to upset southerners is when the three game series of Rugby League called "State of Origin" is on, usually between May and June. Queensland just won for the seventh year straight.

Cheers. M.

TEC

I thought you might offer to be my sponsor, let me sleep on you couch and drink your beer till my residency card came in.

But I don't mind a few beers either

Cheers, Tom

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Stondad

Although it's hard to get across with just the printed word, this comment was meant as tongue in cheek.

Good to see you fellas got this little misunderstanding all sorted out with no harm, no foul. ;)

And for parties involved, that's one of the benefits of using smiley icons. Any time you're saying something to someone you don't know, it helps to use a smiley to convey the meaning, as it is difficult to know for certain the intent when simply reading the printed word. Now that we know the comment was made in innocent jest, a poke as it were, it's kinda funny, but a :) or a :D icon at the end of the comment would help convey the intended jest. :yup

Queenslander

If your immigration laws weren't so restrictive, I would probably be settled in Queensland right now, even if my house was built on stilts.

Don't let that stop you Tom, you can always catch a boat from the north, Govt. will even set you up with free accommodation!!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Greg

stondad

Occupation
Truck Driver
Thanks Willie,
Glad that we didn't offend anyone, including each other and we may have another new friendship or two come out of the forum. :)
Tom,
I don't know if we should start a new thread on this but I would like to know how it is over there.
Because I don't know what media you get about us and I don't know how good the media is that we get about you.
But the truth is that you don't want to be here right now. I've had my own business here for nearly 18 years with trucks and machinery and had 4 full time employees at one stage. A few months ago I parked my truck and went on the dole. I am getting some work driving and doing mechanical work but it is nothing like it should be. Weather has something to do with it (look at what Ross in Maryborough said about the cane harvesting).
The big deal is the Carbon Tax that just came in. No-one is game to spend any money.
Sure, there is plenty of good paying work out west and in the mines but expenses are high and nobody knows how secure that really is either.

So if I could help to sponsor you, I would, but you might be better off where you are at the moment.
I am interested in your and your Sister's comments or anyone that has a perspective.:confused:

Cheers. M.

Last edited:

TEC

The last visit the carbon tax was in the news, there were bush fires, a couple earthquakes in Christchurch NZ, rains and flooding in Queensland capped off with the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. Your dollar was strong and Australians were looking at cheap homes and muscle cars in the US. Also seems like you were losing a lot of skilled workers to mining. I was looking through the preferred immigration list, they were giving two year work visas to a lot of trades, and I would have had no problem lining up work in Brisbane or Sydney. I thought Oz had weathered the GFC better than America.

As for not having work, I've been able to spend winters in Australia because I have none. I use to have a waiting list, a retirement plan, and three properties worth about $450k. Now if I get a job I can start right away, retirement plan? whos retiring, the properties are worth $195k and in the winter there is no work to speak of here besides snow shoveling. Thats why I head down there.

Tom