• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gauging spread depth

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Need to spread 5-6" of sand on a new horse arena that has already been prepped with 6" compacted gravel topped with 4" compacted lime. The area is approx 200' x 400' with a slight slope. Sand will be delivered by fleet of semis.
Looking for ideas to gauge spread depth to be as consistant as possible across the area. Cannot stake the area as it would break the lime cap.
Will be using a D4K LGP but do not have laser control available. When finished, cannot leave anything behind in sand as it would be a hazard to horses. Will also have to be visible to truck traffic during deliveries.
Thinking about using traffic cones marked to depth as they would be visible during deliveries and simple to move and remove.
Has anyone used something similar, or have a better idea ?

pp13bnos

As long as it would act like a grade stake, I'm sure a cone would work great. :beatsme

dozerman400

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Rent a laser. Make a blue print measuring every 50' taking a shot of existing grade. Spread some sand and find those same points and see if there is 5 or 6 inches of sand.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
... find those same points and see if there is 5 or 6 inches of sand.
From my experience you won't have to worry about that ! They always have a ranch hand / A**hole runnin around with a yard stick "checking " grade. They always find a windrow or grouser mark to measure from. Not smart enough to understand that's not finished grade yet. :Banghead:bash:cussing:duh I hate working on horse farms. Some of my worst experiences and hardest people to please are on horse arenas. They expect you the contractor to come in and wham bam be done to precision specs and don't understand it takes time and slow going to get perfection. Then they'll turn around and say " well we can get it like that all the time" but they have a hand at $7 an hour that takes DAYS to keep it smooth not hours.
:soapboxMaybe it's just me but did I mention I hate working on horse farms!:crazy:pointhead

Last edited:

robin yates uk

I had a hire job at a horse training ground where the wrong sand had been delivered and they wanted me to scrape off the sand from the rubber mulch they had laid under the sand.They had also used a membrane to keep the rubber and the sand separate.Talk about a nightmare job! I was expected to do this with no help from a banksman and they wanted it done quickly as Lady Taras horses were due the next day.
Sadly the previous gang had not laid anything level so as I'm scraping sand of the membrane the 6 foot ditching bucket was ripping the membrane.
At the end of the day I was glad to be told they were not happy with my speed and had a dozer booked for the following day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:notworthy:notworthy:drinkup:drinkup

ih100

Need to spread 5-6" of sand on a new horse arena that has already been prepped with 6" compacted gravel topped with 4" compacted lime. The area is approx 200' x 400' with a slight slope. Sand will be delivered by fleet of semis.
Looking for ideas to gauge spread depth to be as consistant as possible across the area. Cannot stake the area as it would break the lime cap.
Will be using a D4K LGP but do not have laser control available. When finished, cannot leave anything behind in sand as it would be a hazard to horses. Will also have to be visible to truck traffic during deliveries.
Thinking about using traffic cones marked to depth as they would be visible during deliveries and simple to move and remove.
Has anyone used something similar, or have a better idea ?

Can't you stake it outside the limes area and check across?

Landclearer

I think the cheapest and fastest way would be to use a probe rod with some tape at six inches from the tip and probe the sand. You should have no problem finding the compacted base. That is how we do greens mix on putting greens. Works good!

Chris

td25c

I like the idea of using the traffic cones. I use a farm tractor & box blade to finnish with on jobs like that. Added some gauge wheels on the rear of the box blade for fine grading and finnish work.It dose a pretty good job.Good luck with the job PDG X. What ever happened to riding horses on the range or in the pasture ?:D http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/

Attachments

• box blade 004.jpg
    box blade 004.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 490
  • box blade 003.jpg
    box blade 003.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 508

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Thanks for the input guys. Couple good suggestions. I like the probe rod -great idea - as it needs to be quick. The haulers working the local pit seem to run in a pack with 3-5 semis arriving in parade formation every hour or so. And I'd like to be within a couple loads by the finish end. Between the cones and rodding, will hopefully be able to stay ahead of deliveries. They also put the membrane below the gravel base where it belongs so I don't have to worry about it moving. Will then have time to finish grade with a laser/rod and a tractor with a box blade and drag. I like the large adjustable gauge wheels on your box blade. Will have to work on that for the future.
Yes I have done work for two horse facilities - one 1/2 mile each way of us - One is organized and good to do work for (this one) and the other - well not so much - but they both pay as there is $ in horses.
Thanks!
PDG

Oxbow

The haulers working the local pit seem to run in a pack with 3-5 semis arriving in parade formation every hour or so.

They're kinda like sheep that way. You can start in the morning spaced perfectly every 15 min. and by dinner time they're all wadded up together. Never quite understood how that happens.

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Yea, I think they all load, then take their break. Then nobody leaves until they're all finished. Charge !

Turbo21835

They're kinda like sheep that way. You can start in the morning spaced perfectly every 15 min. and by dinner time they're all wadded up together. Never quite understood how that happens.

Simple solution. Let them know if they show up in groups, you sign them out, as you are not set up to handle the pack. If the continue to group up, call their bluff

Lindsey97

dirtmonkey i'm with you on the horse farm people. always wanting something for nothing and they usually have mineral rights paying their bills. if it werent for the oil money the horsey playfarm would be nonexsistent.

if it were me i would rent a laser.

ih100

I thought it was just a British phenomenon. Seems like it happens worldwide.

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Approximately 480 tons later - the probe rod worked the best ! Thanks Chris for the idea. The cones were a hassle as we were tailgating in tight adjacent rows. (The parade of 4 trucks ran all day long.) Used the rod while tailgating to vary truck speed, then again after leveling with the D4K2. Then used the arena drag to do final blending. Then rolled it with a CS44 roller. Looked great.
Expecting a good rain tonight and will re-roll it again after, as the sand was a bit dry today.
Thanks for the suggestions !
PDG

Landclearer

That is great to hear that the probe worked out for you. Sometimes simple is just better. Glad to help,

Chris

JDOFMEMI

Simple solution. Let them know if they show up in groups, you sign them out, as you are not set up to handle the pack. If the continue to group up, call their bluff

The problem with that approach is that the drivers will communicate and each one will slow down to make sure you don't get a pack and sign them out. They will be well spaced, but slow. I seen that tried for a week on a job a few years ago, and the result was 2 to 3 loads a day less, per truck. they went from 15 or 16 per day to 12 to 13 loads.