• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gauges on 2002 Case 550H LGP

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
This post is related to another post of mine regarding replacing a water pump but I thought it probably needed a new thread. I have noticed that the water temp gauge and the fuel gauge do not work. However, when the dozer is started they both appear to work because the needles move but never move after the engine is started. The Fuel gauge will register between full and 3/4 full all the time. The water temp registers cool all the time and never moves. I'm hoping that by replacing the water pump corrects the temp gauge but I have my doubts. I'm not sure about the fuel gauge though. It would be different if they didn't work at all but since they do register something it makes it little more difficult to chase down. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Thanks

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If these are electric single gauges not electronic there should be a voltage control built in circuit, if cluster electronic they do a full swing on initial ignition and fail from there could be a bad connection to cluster as they work on ground from power applied thru the gauges.

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
If these are electric single gauges not electronic there should be a voltage control built in circuit, if cluster electronic they do a full swing on initial ignition and fail from there could be a bad connection to cluster as they work on ground from power applied thru the gauges.
I'll have to do some more research but some of the gauges work (tach, oil pressure, etc) so I wouldn't think that it would be the cluster unless individual connections have been damaged. I may try to remove the instrument panel this weekend to see what's going on behind the panel and begin tracing it out.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Mice and other rodents are our worst enemy as to wiring. Mud Dauber wasps have a habit of using tight spaces where they short or break open circuits.