• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gasket Question (for JCB though could be any brand)

Coytee

My JCB was built in 1987. I need a new return hose to hydraulic tank and pressure hose coming from the pump. Figured while I am getting dirty, I may as well drain the hydraulic fluid and replace the filter in the engine bay (no need to drain tank for this one) BUT, there is also a pre-filter screen INSIDE the hydraulic tank.

The hydraulic tank has a plate. Let's just call it 12" in diameter that bolts to the outside of the tank. Access port to the pre-screen filter. May as well replace the gaskets there...

I call JCB and those gaskets are no longer made. Darn but not a killer. I can get some flat gasket at auto shop and cut my own. Grabbed some from auto shop.... appears to be thinner than what is already on there. I don't have the original off yet so can't do a literal side by side. Still have a nervous voice in back of head saying this might not be best material.

So, if I start from scratch, what type of gasket material should I use and more importantly, where might I obtain it?

I was expecting the flat stock I bought to be more rubbery..... it feels more paper like. It might be fine. I've never done this before and this is hitting my not-comfortable button. I want to do this only once. Don't want this to be a mistake and have to drain tank to do again!!!

What/where might I get something to use?

Coytee

Got the stupid hose off that was dripping. Probably took me three hours to wrestle it off and find the clamps that were holding it (covered in muck)

Won't be so long putting back together after I get a new hose.

To the gasket.... looking at the material that is already on there (sticking out a bit) the 'flat stock' I got at the auto place is about half the thickness. There is a 'Rubber & Gasket' supplier in town. Going to try to go by there this week to see if they have something better.

Need to get this plate off and replace the initial screen that is submersed in there. JCB doesn't make the gasket any more, as per local dealer.

cosmaar1

Got the stupid hose off that was dripping. Probably took me three hours to wrestle it off and find the clamps that were holding it (covered in muck)

Won't be so long putting back together after I get a new hose.

To the gasket.... looking at the material that is already on there (sticking out a bit) the 'flat stock' I got at the auto place is about half the thickness. There is a 'Rubber & Gasket' supplier in town. Going to try to go by there this week to see if they have something better.

Need to get this plate off and replace the initial screen that is submersed in there. JCB doesn't make the gasket any more, as per local dealer.

On my 555e I was too cheap to buy a replacement gasket from New Holland so I made my own using this…. Small Parts"Buna-N Sheet Gasket, Black, 1/16"" Thick, 12"" × 12"" (Pack of 1)" - SQ-R-BN-G363-60D-006-1200X1200 https://a.co/d/cKN9frR

My tank sounds similar to how yours is set up and looks like this. 0248668E-8AD5-4064-A1C8-288059EE7390.png

56wrench

A thin paper gasket will leak. The rubber/cork (cork with bits of rubber imbedded) about 2 to 3mm thick may be best