• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gallon fuel pump timing?Need help.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I'm working on a Gallon Grade O Matic with the International six cyl.diesel.Has a CAV fuel pump.Need to know the timing presager on it.Some body worked on it before removed pump then put it back on but could not get it to start.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm thinking Lucas/CAV injection pumps has a plate on the side of them that has a #1 timing mark underneath the plate, can't remember for certain though. How did you verify you were on #1 cylinder TDC?

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I'm thinking Lucas/CAV injection pumps has a plate on the side of them that has a #1 timing mark underneath the plate, can't remember for certain though. How did you verify you were on #1 cylinder TDC?
It did have the scribe marks under the cover.Having the pump rebuilt.If I get the engine at TDC mark and the scribe marks aligned I should be OK.Somebody else jacked with this before.Diesel filled crank case and the guy said that was fixed but when pump was installed it never cranked and run.Was running fine before.Just sat a long time and diesel got in oil.Probably a pump seal.But this following somebody else's patch job can be a head ache.None of my books show this pump or engine.Pump is on exhaust side not intake side.
I used the scribe marks under the little cover for #1,TDC.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah, it's never easy to follow another wrench and pick up where they left off, pretty much have to check everything. Getting engine on TDC mark doesn't insure your on firing TDC, it could be 180 deg off on exhaust TDC, you have to make certain you're on ignition TDC. And if I remember correctly, you're scribe marks inside pump should line up when you're on proper BTDC as required by engine maker. On most diesels, that would range from 5 to 12 degress BTDC. Again, memory a little vague on that, can't be for certain. Also, that CAV pump has to be purged of air before it will deliver fuel, I'm thinking they had a bleeded screw on top of the governor housing to purge air from the innards of the pump. Hope this helps a little. :)

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Yeah, it's never easy to follow another wrench and pick up where they left off, pretty much have to check everything. Getting engine on TDC mark doesn't insure your on firing TDC, it could be 180 deg off on exhaust TDC, you have to make certain you're on ignition TDC. And if I remember correctly, you're scribe marks inside pump should line up when you're on proper BTDC as required by engine maker. On most diesels, that would range from 5 to 12 degrees BTDC. Again, memory a little vague on that, can't be for certain. Also, that CAV pump has to be purged of air before it will deliver fuel, I'm thinking they had a bleeded screw on top of the governor housing to purge air from the innards of the pump. Hope this helps a little. :)
It did help.Since only the pump was removed the main timing gears should be OK.And the pump shaft is keyed.The pump shop should get every thing in the pump back right.Since I pulled the Injectors I should be able to tell when it's on TDC compression stroke.I tell you I have been working on three engines lately.All different brands.Two of them I'm following somebody Else's tear down or goof up.Be nice if I had a Library full of books.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, if it's a tapered/keyed shaft, and pump was removed, the timing gears should remain in correct position. And you should be able to feel compression stoke of #1 by bumping starter and holding finger or thumb over injector hole. Once you fell compression, turn crank pully with tool until you hit your proper timing mark on pully.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Yes, if it's a tapered/keyed shaft, and pump was removed, the timing gears should remain in correct position. And you should be able to feel compression stoke of #1 by bumping starter and holding finger or thumb over injector hole. Once you fell compression, turn crank pulley with tool until you hit your proper timing mark on pulley.
Well soon as the shop gets the pump and Inj.back I'll go have some fun.I was lucky only one Inj.gave me trouble removing it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL, yeah, I like getting lucky. Last one I did was a Mitsubishi. #1 was stuck. Pulled the friggen' brass injector cup out with it. Arrgggggghhhhhh!

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I over hauled a Fiat Allis FD5.Somebody pulled the head about three years ago_Outside at that.We looked for the inj.just been rebuilt at that time.Found them in a five gallon can.Full of water.Got it back in the dozer then starter went south.Trying to set the valves is a pain.Only one mark on the fly wheel.But I guess I like a challenge.Maybe I just like getting greasy and skinned up a lot.
I worked on a TD9 but got lucky and the owner found a new engine on E Bay.Then lost the timing sheet for the pump gears.It went by letters not numbers are marks.When I finished he was a happy camper and I was too.Money in my pocket.
Pulled pencil inj.out of a cat.One was stuburn.I bet it took three hours because Cat service said be careful or you will break it and have to pull the head.