• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

galion troubles...continued!

goodwin

Occupation
beef producer
some of you will remember we have had some trouble with our T600 Galion over the last few years...
First the C175 Cummins died(it was a blessing, the thing was in pain)

Then a broken final drive shaft(we welded it up)

Then the C180 Cummins died(kept burning intake valves, and developed a SERIOUS oil habit.. 40litres plus a day!)

i have skipped over the small issues...

I have developed a prejudice against Cseries cummins...

So.. we ordered a good runner Detroit 671N from USA as well as torque converter, pumps, etc..

some time later, it turns up in good order,so we go to collect the machine from the back paddock where it was laying(about 30km)
driving it back, the drive shaft broke again....getting sick of this....

managed to find a NOS item in Australia...someone lost their doorstop of 30yrs,they got a good price!

So... got it back to the workshop finally... threw the cummins out...Feels good to do that!

thought we better check the diff.............................................

Boo Hooo hooo.....

Broken diff center splines....fell out with the axles...try and get one of them in the land of OZ

Ended up ordering a rebuilt center assy from Wellers in Kansas, its on the way!!!

The fun just keeps coming...why not give up you say....

I figure that once you fix something it is fixed, and if i buy a worn out JD or Cat, i will just end up with the same scenario.

The Galion is good to operate, and simple to work on, and solIdly built.
The only issues weve had have been from years of abuse, so were sticking with it!
As i tell my wife, weve spent too much on it to give up know.

Livin the dream in the great outback.

Goodwin.

Ps i will post some pics soon...we all love pics!

Ricnmd

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
I own a 82 Galion A600 that I bought from a salvage company in 86. Machine hit a gas line and set it on fire(cab area). Restored machine in 87 and still use it today. Very durable series if you can find one with the Clark transmisssion. Wellers has helped me over the decades to keep it in good shape. Many a job came to me when newer more electronic graders went down and I finished the job.