• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150FA Gleason Reel

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
I already kind of don't want to do this, but I was asked to... Does anyone have the assembly/disassembly instructions for the clockspring on this thing? I was told the spring was broken, whether it has a hole on the end or hook I don't know. At least everyone around it stopped, realizing the potential energy of the spring. The recoil unit is lying on a pallet waiting on someone brave (or stupid) enough to open it up. New one seems rare and pretty costly, so it might be worth looking at before buying a replacement.

Any help appreciated, as always!Gleason.jpg

crane operator

Contractors Crane in Houston are the guys for galion parts. I bought the whole reel from them to replace mine. It’s been 5-6 years ago and I think it was $3-4,000 then.

Mine was so rusty I gave up on respringing mine.

crane operator

I did open my old one up. It’s nothing exotic inside, just a big flat spring. Your old one is broken, so no big worries of huge amounts of spring tension. The flat bands can still flop around so pay attention.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Our shop guy says they want $6k now for it. I was hoping to respring it.

crane operator

The OEM didn’t sell the spring separately, and was more expensive than contractors crane for the whole can.

I was hoping to just fix the end hook on mine, but the flat spring was broken in over a dozen places, and I was worried the case was so rusty that it wouldn’t hold up to a new spring, if I could find one.

I would have been time and money ahead if I would’ve bought the whole thing new as mess around with the old one.

Just a FYI- the hoses that the spring can holds tension on, are a special synflex hose that doesn’t stretch. You can’t use standard hydraulic hose there. The Houston guys have them premade to the right length and ready to drop in a box

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
I guess that’s what I was hoping for. I have successfully bent such springs or drilled holes. But if it’s in pieces that’s not going help. I don’t really think this one is all rusted out, but of course can’t say until I get into it. If the spring has lost its anchor point, it’s already unwound so there shouldn’t be any tension. Just lots of caution removing it. If I get that far I’ll just drop it in a 55 and step back

Thank you for the info.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
I'll get the contact info for them and hand it back to the shop manager. His guys got it this far and I got called in. I can't give them much more help than that. Well maybe if they get service info, I might be able to salvage the spring. I'll be sure and pass along the info on the special nature of the hoses. He may know that, but I'll make sure. I haven't looked at them, but I'm thinking that they will be replaced.

Thanks!