• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

fuel transfer pump

Dodge07around

Occupation
Contractor/owner/operator
Just got a tank and wanted to know the good from the bad out there as far as pumps. I want a 20gpm transfer pump. Filter probably too. Good idea? whats a good brand? does it matter? Thanks

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have 4 of these GPI pumps, the oldest one being 7 years old. They are 18 GPM and have been good pumps. The only problems I have had is the toggle switch inside the housing, it was fixed easily with a stock switch from NAPA. I like the low profile of the pump and a filter is easily installed.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
We also have been using GPI pumps for many years. Another brand a lot of people use around here is Fill Rite.

For filters we use the large clear plastic bowl type. I like to be able to see the fuel and anything else that may be in it.

The only problems we have had with our oldest unit about 20 years old, is we replaced the motor once and a shear pin.

Good place to buy and see the different models, also they have some rebuilt models on sale is at JME.

http://www.jmesales.com/category/1772/1/DC-Transfer-Pumps.aspx

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Ive got a Fill Rite on my drag tank. Its at least 12 years old and works great. I dont use it much any more though, just for filling the pickup. I put a filter base from NAPA along with a spin on filter from them as well. I like the spin-on filter, cause DOT cant see what color the fuel is!
I think mine was rated at 15gpm, but I know it was never that fast. Anything you add to the line is gonna slow the flow down.

You guys have had good luck with those GPI's! I ran one for one summer and it burned up on me. I thought they were compleate junk!

Dodge07around

Occupation
Contractor/owner/operator
well good to know thanks, you know i've heard good and bad about the brands i thought were top of the line and then also about the ones i though were crap. But i guess a guy just gots to find what works for him . thanks guys

eRay

Watch eBay. I bought a brand new Fill Rite for $175.00. Bought a filter kit from tractor supply for about 20 bucks. Very strong pump. Works great.

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Transfer pump.

Hello.

I bought a transfer pump real cheap, $20.
This was a fill rite that had quit working and was sitting around some shop.
The guy said he replaced or jumpered the switch but the damn thing would not work.
I got it home, took it apart, "gears" were jammed by some crud and the wire to one of the brushes was open.
Cleaned it up and reconnected the braid and it has been fine ever since.
The copper braid I used as replacement is the shield of a piece of coaxial cable.
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...B-AABE-431D-BE14-842A19C4E964}/qx/product.htm
Not bad for $20 :cool:

Ace

I like fill rite pumps, we have 5 of them at work and they never give us any trouble. I dont think they pump as fast as advertised but they always work. I have a 15gpm model on my personal truck and am very pleased with it. I got mine off ebay new in the box for like $200 or so.