• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel Tank Cleaning

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
I just purchased a Cat D3G 2005 Dozer with 1725 hours. The previous owner said he was replacing the fuel/water separator more often than normal as he thinks the tank has some debris in it. He said the fuel cap went missing and may have gotten some debris in it before it was replaced. He said the inlet strainer remained inplace which should have prevented too much contamination. I plan to drain the water/sedimant via the tank drain valve but I am wondering if there are some other preventive maintenance things I should do to clean up this problem. Any suggestions.

cummins05

Take the tank off and get it steam cleaned if you can I did this to my slip tank once a year and it was clean as could be

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Thanks. Is it true that diesel fuel which sets in tanks sometimes for long periods will break down and generate debris?

cummins05

I had one tank sit for a summer with about 5L of fuel in it when i looked in the tank before winter it was like a sludge in the corners had that tank steamed really good and it was like brand new inside

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
I ask this question elsewhere but would like to run it by you. If you are familiar with the Cat Fuel/water separator filter, please explain how they work. I understand how they settle out the water what I want to know is how fuel circulates through them. I have a filter in my hands as I speak. It is for a D3G 2005. There is a large opening in the top and a small valve in the bottom for draining the water. What I don't understand is how the fuel can come in the top and go out the top. I am curious if you know how that works.

FL450B

Occupation
jap bike service manager/voke teacher
How long before fuel is no good we have gas in bike that is bad after 3-4 weeks how long with fuel oil ???//

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I ask this question elsewhere but would like to run it by you. If you are familiar with the Cat Fuel/water separator filter, please explain how they work. I understand how they settle out the water what I want to know is how fuel circulates through them. I have a filter in my hands as I speak. It is for a D3G 2005. There is a large opening in the top and a small valve in the bottom for draining the water. What I don't understand is how the fuel can come in the top and go out the top. I am curious if you know how that works.

Well there are two different ways those filters work.

One uses a filter design on the principle that water particles (for arguement sake you could say molecules) and fuel particles are a different size (water being larger). They simply make a filter that is slightly smaller than a water molecule and tadaa! The water is trapped on one side and the fuel is allowed to pass through.

The second uses a vortex, aka centrifugal power. Water is heavier than fuel so when the water/fuel mixture is pumped through the turbine the water is forced down while the fuel remains on top and is syphoned off by your downstream fuel line.

I believe they have models have both methods intergrated into one (filter first which also blocks out unwanted debris) and then the cetrifuge to spin out any smaller water particles that the filter missed.

Cool huh?

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Could not find the fuel article on JDCrawler. Could you say where it is. Thanks.

FL450B

Occupation
jap bike service manager/voke teacher
It is under late model tech title is diesel fuel lubricity if you can not find it i have printed out i will fax it to you if needed cary