• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel shutoff solenoid

Maybeso

I had to change my fuel shutoff solenoid on a 580L, in the mud no less and didnt realize there was a spring under it. If I had to guess Id say its gone. I cant find a parts number for it or any where to buy one other than a case dealer for 35.00, which seems a little spendy for just a spring. Any insight would be appreciated!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
You won't buy just the spring, it will be the complete solenoid.
At a pinch, you could probably trim down a spring from a ball point pen ......

Maybeso

You won't buy just the spring, it will be the complete solenoid.
At a pinch, you could probably trim down a spring from a ball point pen ......
I ordered a new solenoid but there was nothing about a spring included. Does the spring sit inside the injector pump by itself? Will it just fall out on its own? Would you know the approximate dimensions of the spring if it is seperate from the solenoid? Thank you

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
There are 3 x different injector pumps fitted to the 580L series - they have different shut offs - is your pump CAV or Bosch?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If it’s a CAV DPA, the new solenoids are 1 piece, u can’t take them apart..
I have a small herd of those springs from burnt up solenoids..
But u can just screw the solenoid BODY back into the pump & use the manual s/o lever to shut’r down..
Lemme know if u want that spring..

Maybeso

I guess I'm not sure what type of pump it is. How would you tell what type of pump it is? Do some solenoid operate with out a spring?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Take a pic& post it..or if it’s easier, send a private message to me asking for my personal email & send it that way..
They all have or they’re supposed to have a name plate on the side, held in w 2 small rivets..
My thoughts are, if u removed it externally n dropped the spring, it’s a CAV DPA..

Maybeso

To thepumpguysc, I got a chance to look at the injector pump on my 580l and the name tag was blue with the name Lucas on it. I looked the old solenoid over and it appears to have a burn spot in the base where the wire hooks up, I did pull it apart and now I see the spring is inside of it, looking in my parts book I was under the impression the spring was separate from the solenoid. I guess I will have to wait for the new one to show up. If you could , could you explain how this solenoid works. Thank you

thepumpguysc

Occupation
When u turn the key on, voltage is sent to the solenoid, (IDK the path it takes to get there)
All the solenoid is, is an electro magnet.. it sucks the plunger UP (for an energized to run system)
uncovering a hole in the head allowing the fuel to pass thru to the pumping chamber..
& just the opposite to shut it off..
The voltage is taken away, the solenoid plunger drops w the aid of the spring in the solenoid, covering the feed hole & shutting the engine off..
I hope this helps.

Maybeso

Take a pic& post it..or if it’s easier, send a private message to me asking for my personal email & send it that way..
They all have or they’re supposed to have a name plate on the side, held in w 2 small rivets..
My thoughts are, if u removed it externally n dropped the spring, it’s a CAV DPA..
When u turn the key on, voltage is sent to the solenoid, (IDK the path it takes to get there)
All the solenoid is, is an electro magnet.. it sucks the plunger UP (for an energized to run system)
uncovering a hole in the head allowing the fuel to pass thru to the pumping chamber..
The voltage is taken away, the solenoid plunger drops w the aid of the spring in the solenoid, covering the feed hole & shutting the engine off..
I hope this helps.
Thank you much,I appreciate the knowledge, it makes more sense
I hope this helps.
I hope this helps.