• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel in Oil 1947 cat 12 Road Grader

damon1

I have a 1947? Caterpillar road grader that I just recently purchased. If anybody could give me some advice on diagnosing the problems it would be greatly appreciated. It's a 3U serial number. My back ground on heavy equipment and working on diesel motors are none. I bought this grader for farm use only. The pony motor runs great, the diesel motor runs great. The diesel motor starts right up with no problems. The grader has been sitting up for several years with an occasional start up every three or four months per previous owner. Here is the first problem. We noticed the oil was watered down with diesel. You could smell the diesel and by the velocity of the oil really watery it looks like an almost 50-50 mix of diesel and oil. We drained the oil fuel mixture and filled it back up with oil. We started it back up and within 20 minutes in was full of fuel again, the oil ran like the consistency of water almost. There must have been 10 gallons of diesel fuel mixed in with the oil. What can cause such a large amount of fuel to enter the oil pan so quickly and at the same time the diesel motor run like new at the same time? No black smoke out the top or nothing? The second problem I'm having is there is a large amount of hydraulic oil leaking from the vent on the steering box. Thanks in advance.

Old Magnet

Two common problems. The fuel is most likely coming from the shot o-ring seal between the filter housing and the fuel injection pump. When they go fuel will migrate to the engine oil sump. There is also the same seal at the governor end of the fuel gallery. Replace them both while your in there. #318 o-rings.

On the steering leak, the piston rod seal is shot, shaft most likely grooved, pitted and rusted from water accumulating in the cavity. Usually takes shaft repair/replacement to fix along with new seals. Some route a hose back to the hydraulic tank and live with the leakage.

damon1

Thank you Oil Magnet for your reply. I'm still having a little trouble fully understanding on how to fix the problem. I understand that the most likely cause is worn out seal(s) that should be replaced first. Like I mentioned earlier I don't have a clue when it comes to working on diesel engines. I will say that I'm very mechanically inclined and I don't think I have ever taken my auto to the shop to have anything fixed except for a muffler and pipes put on. When it come to auto's if it's broke I can fix it. If I had a repair manual for this grader that had good break downs of the engine I could probably figure the exact locations of these seals and have an ideal what you mean when you say governor side and the seals between the filter housing and the fuel injector pump. I was given a parts book with the grader called NO. 112 Motor Grader gasoline Starting parts catalog but didn't offer me much help. When replacing these seals what exactly am I taking apart to get to these seals and will I run into timing issues or is there anything I should know that could get me into trouble while attempting this fix? I know where the filter housing is and I believe the fuel injector pump is located below the fuel injectors? A little more detail would be appreciated. If you knew of a graphic drawing that you could link to would be very helpful too. Also you said the steering leak the piston rod seal is shot. Could you tell me the location of this seal and the seal number? Is it located somewhere in the steering gear box or is it located along the pressure lines? I noticed what looks like a relief valve on top of grader between gear box and cab is that the location of the rod seal? If the seal is located in the gear box is this a major project in the rod is not pitted? The hose re route is a good ideal and already have that in place now for a temporary fix but there is another small like bleeder screw that is next to the vent line on the gear box that I re routed is oozing a small amount of fluid out of it. I'm not sure if I can cap this valve off or not with causing it to build up to much pressure and burst a seal. Thanks again Oil magnet

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Your 112 book is for a D4 engine sized grader. The 12 is a D6 engine based machine. Not sure if much will apply. Should be easy to find the correct books on ebay for your machine.

Old Magnet

You really need to get the parts and service manual for the grader.
The 112 parts book will work for the fuel seals if it's for the D315 engine. The D315 engine is the same arrangement, just two more cylinders with the D318 in the #12 Grader.
You will need to remove the fuel injection pump and governor to access the seals. Injection timing is not an issue as the drive coupling has an off set tang that only goes together one way.

You won't find the steering booster in the 112 parts manual because they normally have manual steering.
Here is the parts diagram for the #12. Seal that fails along with shaft problems is part #6F5772.

Attachments

• #12 Steering Booster.jpg
    #12 Steering Booster.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 576

damon1

My machine has four injectors so I have the D4 D315 Engine then. After I find a decent book on the D315 engine I will start this project. I will post back on how everything went so other members might benefit from it. If you know of a good service manual off hand for that engine that you thought would be a good choice let me know. Thanks again for your help.

damon1

If in fact it is a #112 grader s/n 3Uxxxx with 4-cylinder engine you need this manual.

Yes it is the #112 D315 engine. I found the book you said I should get above with Form FEO30552-2 located to the top right of the cover but I also found the same book with a different Form number which is Form 30522-02 without the FEO. Is there a difference in these book? The reason why I ask is because there are a lot more of the Form 30522-02 books available that look a lot cleaner verses a couple FEO30552-2 that look really beat up. I'm assuming The FEO30552-2 is more detailed with more pages or is there really any difference between the two manuals. The manual cover's look identical except for the different form number's.

Old Magnet

In general the straight numbered manuals are older/earlier editions than the ones with the letter designations.
The one shown is a 1960 printing with 299 pages, 02 or 2 is the revision edition. That's the only version I have so I can't compare the two.

You still haven't stated the s/n of the grader you have. We know it is not a #12 but it also could be a #212 which uses the 4-cylinder D311 engine, same as the D2 tractor.

s/n should be on the block, below the head in back of the pony clutch housing and on the LH side of the back bone where it slopes down to the front wheels.

Last edited:

damon1

I guess it would be a good ideal to verify that I do have the D315 before I buy the service manual and find out I bought the wrong one. The machine is still sitting where I bought it from and it will be a few days before I make it back over there to get the serial number. He's going to let he do the repair's while it's sitting at his place. If the repair is successful I will just drive it home because it's only fifteen miles away. I did take some pictures of it that have some numbers in it but they are probably not the one you need. Here is a few numbers that I see in the pictures but they are probably just all part numbers. 4F5142, 588466,4F8083 could be 4F8063, 6F3787, 8B3447, 2H2947, This number 1H5768 is in bold and is on side of block below alternator. Number on exhaust manifold is 8F1787. When I go back over I will look for that number and post back here it will probably be a few days unless I got lucky and you see it here.

damon1

He told me he thought it was a 1947 but wasn't sure. If that block casting number was effective starting in 1954 then that would make it a 1954 or later model Grader if the motor wasn't replaced sometime in the past. Thanks for your time old magnet on looking this up.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That's a big IF.

True, would not be hard to imagine that sometime in the last 68 years a 1947 machine might have a few parts that were not original to it! I'm sure that grader could tell some good stories of things it has done and things done to it in those 68 years!

damon1

I got my service manual in and I'm having a hard time figuring out what seals I need for my fuel leaking into the oil pan. In the service manual form FE030522-02 on page 119 is shows #2 as a seal but when I try to look up part number in the no.112 motor grader parts catalog I don't see it or the part number. Is the seal actually attached to the fuel filter housing is that where I should be looking or the fuel injection pump. You stated that the most likely problem was a bad O-ring but the service manual shows a seal in that spot where I think it's located. You also stated I should go ahead and replace the governor side why I was in there which I'm going to do but I don't see that seal or O-ring either.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You also stated I should go ahead and replace the governor side why I was in there which I'm going to do but I don't see that seal or O-ring either.

Not Old Magnet and I don't have the parts book to look at but just want to point out that Cat tends to refer to orings as seals.