• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel in Crankcase

Jbaker1

Hi sorry I have been at a job where we have no connectivity to anything. Home having a restock and resupply.

So what I was getting at was seeing if you have a problem somewhere other than the engine causing your issue. So something causing the engine to work really hard when it shouldn’t have to, causing black smoke and bogging down.

The hydraulic loading idea was if your Hyd pump might be able to give the engine a bit of a load not related to the driveline. It probably wouldn’t give much if it is a gear pump, but if you pull a couple Hyd levers sitting still and it bogged down and blew smoke I would think it would most likely be an engine lacking power problem. If the engine didnt change note I would think less chance of engine as cause. But this isn’t a perfect test idea and may not give good results anyway.

It sounds like it might be more driveline related if it is only doing it in reverse
now?
The steering issue could be getting you honed in on a possible cause.
So your dozer has a manual gear box and clutch?
What do you mean by steering too easy?
Is your steering system seperate leavers and brake pedals?

I have an old fiat bulldozer that once got a stick wedged up where the brake pedal shaft went in the case causing it to stay locked on, have you checked the brake pedals are returning freely if you have them?
Not a problem! I just appreciate your help at any time.
If the machine turns abruptly when I pull the lever, I read somewhere it could indicate a stuck steering brake.
It clicked! I had this guy, before I knew it had a gear pump, to pull those covers underneath the seat and adjust the brake bands.(I guess he didn’t know this machine either)
Sometime ago, another mechanic, told me the gear pump was bad and needed replacing, which he did.
I’ve used the little fella very little since then because of failing health.

While you were away I began to rethink myself on my answer to you about it freewheeling. Yesterday I put it to the test. Come to find out, on a steep incline, in reverse the machine wouldn’t move at all and I remembered the steering advice.
I pulled the covers and backed off on the brake band tensioners.
Presto! It was like I had a new machine! It still isn’t adjusted as good as it should, however, my plan is to adjust until I get a good steering experience and have the machine move freely when in neutral on the incline.
It does have brake pedals and they seem to be working as they should.

In the meantime, I had a steel hydraulic line to spring several leaks due to several deep pits. I pulled it off (after literally pulling every other line off) and used my brazing skills to repair. I went back with all new o-rings and overhauled a blade lift cylinder. The hydraulics are working fine.
Now: The fuel in crankcase, the power issue (which caused it to overheat) are solved.
On to a clutch pedal issue. It literally will not move until the last bit of pedal is released.
Just in front of the engine/transmission ujoint It has a band very similar to the steering brake bands only much smaller. It’s burned toast.
JAJ, thanks for all your help.
Besides the clutch issue and some under carriage issues, it’s a fine operating little machine.

Jbaker1

My BD2G issue has now came down to this. The brake acts like it's on all the time. I've adjusted the adjustments under the seat. Set the brake bands at 2 2/3 turns, however it has great difficulty "freewheeling", especially backwards. Even moving backwards in reverse causes it to load up, blow the black smoke. Ideas?
If the brake band that's affected by the inching clutch is too tight, will that cause movement problems of this nature?

Jbaker1

Hi sorry I have been at a job where we have no connectivity to anything. Home having a restock and resupply.

So what I was getting at was seeing if you have a problem somewhere other than the engine causing your issue. So something causing the engine to work really hard when it shouldn’t have to, causing black smoke and bogging down.

The hydraulic loading idea was if your Hyd pump might be able to give the engine a bit of a load not related to the driveline. It probably wouldn’t give much if it is a gear pump, but if you pull a couple Hyd levers sitting still and it bogged down and blew smoke I would think it would most likely be an engine lacking power problem. If the engine didnt change note I would think less chance of engine as cause. But this isn’t a perfect test idea and may not give good results anyway.

It sounds like it might be more driveline related if it is only doing it in reverse
now?
The steering issue could be getting you honed in on a possible cause.
So your dozer has a manual gear box and clutch?
What do you mean by steering too easy?
Is your steering system seperate leavers and brake pedals?

I have an old fiat bulldozer that once got a stick wedged up where the brake pedal shaft went in the case causing it to stay locked on, have you checked the brake pedals are returning freely if you have them?
Thanks for your help. My opinion, I've pretty much ruled out an engine or fuel related issue. It does have a standard transmission with the stick shift and clutch. It has the two steering levers and also a brake on the floor just like an automobile, clutch on left and brake on right. You jogged my thinking and tomorrow I'm going to see if the floor brake may be the problem. I've checked specs and measurements on everything i could, however, for some reason, haven't thought of the possibility of the floor brake needs adjustment.
What i meant by steering to easy, i read somewhere if the machine turned when the lever was just barely pulled, look at the possibility of something stuck or out of adjustment in the steering. By now, i don't think that's the problem.
I'll post as soon as I can. Thanks again!