• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel in Crankcase

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Got a setback.. I can’t find the seal #.!!
I “knew” where it was but it’s not there..
I’ll go thru my notes and see if I can find it. SORRY ..
U can get the pump # off the name plate and call a fuel shop, they may give u the # if u tell’m you will get the seal from them..
Tellm u need the seal for the supply pump, the one behind the roller tappet..
In the meantime I’ll keep looking..

Reactions: mks

Jbaker1

The vent for this rig is in the fuel cap. The hole in the outside of the cap was plugged. Not really any appreciable difference. Pump Guy is sending me the seal. I’m pretty sure I’m still getting some fuel in crankcase. Hopefully the seal will clear that up and it’s not a fault of the main inj pump. I’ll get some pics soon. Thanks!

Reactions: JAJ

skyking1

That intermittent bad running could be a blockage in the tank pickup. Look down in the tank with a flashlight for a "floater", a piece of something that can block the pickup.

Reactions: JAJ

JAJ

Occupation
Owner operator of small fleet
The vent for this rig is in the fuel cap. The hole in the outside of the cap was plugged. Not really any appreciable difference. Pump Guy is sending me the seal. I’m pretty sure I’m still getting some fuel in crankcase. Hopefully the seal will clear that up and it’s not a fault of the main inj pump. I’ll get some pics soon. Thanks!
So still blowing black smoke only under load and lacking power?
No hunting or fluctuating in the revs?

Does it run ok sitting still high and low revs?

JAJ

Occupation
That intermittent bad running could be a blockage in the tank pickup. Look down in the tank with a flashlight for a "floater", a piece of something that can block the pickup.
Very good idea I have seen and heard of that a few times. Very frustrating to deal with.

Might even be worth a little bit of compressed air to blow back into the tank if nothing can be seen in the tank, just in case it is stuck in the line. I’m not sure if the Op can test fuel flow via gravity from the tank in his system.

Jbaker1

I took the shutoff valve out and just ran the line straight into the sp, thinking the 1/8 “ ID of the valve was too restrictive. The flow was full pipe at 1/4” ID. No load running at any RPM seems fine. Just when I engage a load does the RPM’s fall and would stall without any hunting or fluctuating. Clutching the machine is all that allows it to catch up.

JAJ

Occupation
I took the shutoff valve out and just ran the line straight into the sp, thinking the 1/8 “ ID of the valve was too restrictive. The flow was full pipe at 1/4” ID. No load running at any RPM seems fine. Just when I engage a load does the RPM’s fall and would stall without any hunting or fluctuating. Clutching the machine is all that allows it to catch up.
Ok so what I am wondering is if you have something transmission/driveline related that is loading it up. Do you think that could be a cause?
Without actually being there I can’t tell so I could be wasting your time. You might be right with the fuel being the cause, just throwing out there some other ideas that could save you some money.

Does using the hydraulics while sitting still cause enough load to see symptoms?

Do you have rippers? When it starts acting up you could lift the machine up with the rippers and blade to see if the tracks spin freely.
Or see if it freely rolls on a down hill slope?

As I say just throwing out ideas.

Jbaker1

Ok so what I am wondering is if you have something transmission/driveline related that is loading it up. Do you think that could be a cause?
Without actually being there I can’t tell so I could be wasting your time. You might be right with the fuel being the cause, just throwing out there some other ideas that could save you some money.

Does using the hydraulics while sitting still cause enough load to see symptoms?

Do you have rippers? When it starts acting up you could lift the machine up with the rippers and blade to see if the tracks spin freely.

I need every idea (and probably some other things!) thrown at me right now! Lol
The hydraulics don’t seem to load it up any more than my other machines do. I live on a hill that falls 2 ft for every 8. I can turn it loose, backwards or forwards, and I’m gaining speed in a hurry. With it in gear, just depress the clutch and away she goes. Working uphill and it begins to stall, press the clutch and if I don’t apply the brake, I’ve lost more progress than I’ve made.
I’m trying something today that should dismiss this notion I’ve had that it was fuel and the culprit being the sp. I found this sp complete for $41.50. It’s here and I’m putting it on. If it doesn’t work any better and fuel’s still showing up in the crankcase, I’ll be looking at the inj pump. I’ve already pulled the inspection plate off thinking maybe I was getting fuel from the top. I couldn’t detect any wash down. All the fittings seemed to be tight enough as well, but we’ll see…
As soon as I get the seal from Pump Guy, I’m rebuilding the one I’m working with now. If the inexpensive one falls, I will have one that can take its place. Hopefully, when I’ve a success story I can help someone else.
I’ll post what I learn from another day in “Jim’s Tinker Shop”!

D5Dan

I’ve never used a UV Fluorescent Leak Detection Dye; but maybe it would give you another way to verify where/how the fuel is traveling?? Or not traveling…

Keep digging-you’ll sort it out!

Jbaker1

Good morning! Well I changed out the old sp for the new one from Friday Parts. Good results. The “beast” runs as smooth as smooth. Takes fuel and increases revs honorably. Reduces revs as good as any. However, under load, it’s very poor at hunting. Some better, but much to be desired. JAJ, good call on plugged fuel tank vent. The fuel cap hole was plugged.
I’m also attaching the pic of the beast as you requested. The little tree got in the way of the model, but it’s a Mitsubishi, BD2G.
Many thanks to Pump Guy for getting me the seal I needed to repair the old sp.
In the meantime, I’ve discovered a hydraulic leak in a steel line on the return side. Soon as I get that fixed I’ll take it for another test run. After that, it’s probably back to the drawing board. I’m open to any and all ideas.
Thanks to everyone for your input, guidance, etc. Pump Guy and JAJ have been a tremendous help.

Jbaker1

Good morning! Well I changed out the old sp for the new one from Friday Parts. Good results. The “beast” runs as smooth as smooth. Takes fuel and increases revs honorably. Reduces revs as good as any. However, under load, it’s very poor at hunting. Some better, but much to be desired. JAJ, good call on plugged fuel tank vent. The fuel cap hole was plugged.
I’m also attaching the pic of the beast as you requested. The little tree got in the way of the model, but it’s a Mitsubishi, BD2G.
Many thanks to Pump Guy for getting me the seal I needed to repair the old sp.
In the meantime, I’ve discovered a hydraulic leak in a steel line on the return side. Soon as I get that fixed I’ll take it for another test run. After that, it’s probably back to the drawing board. I’m open to any and all ideas.
Thanks to everyone for your input, guidance, etc. Pump Guy and JAJ have been a tremendous help.
EF6AF893-A270-47AB-A0DE-035AAEE2A1AD.jpeg

skyking1

Love your little dozer. I got to use a rental to grade around my friend's large shop. It was very flat and I only had a few inches to work with to make the water run away. It was quite capable with the farm soils.
Screenshot 2024-02-17 8.22.47 AM.png

Jbaker1

Love your little dozer. I got to use a rental to grade around my friend's large shop. It was very flat and I only had a few inches to work with to make the water run away. It was quite capable with the farm soils.
View attachment 305788
It is a honey operating little dozer. When it’s at its best, it’s hard to beat. It takes a little longer to get some jobs done, however, it’s a finished product at the end of the day. After a while you get the feel of your machine and you can cut your grade. Leave your transit at home.

Jbaker1

Good morning! Well, I installed the new supply pump. It's working great. No fuel in crankcase. Thanks to Pump Guy, I now have a new seal to get the old pump completely rebuilt. (nothing like a spare) in the meantime, I detected a steel hydraulic line leaking. To pull it for repair, I had to literally take every line loose. I repaired the leaking line and replaced all o-rings, repaired leaky blade lift cylinder, put it back together and it's working perfectly. However, I'm still having problems with the dozer "bogging" down when under a load. It works better going forward, but it is still not "hunting" like it should. Reverse is a real challenge. It loses rpms to the point of stalling completely unless I clutch it. Sometimes it will finally "hunt' just enough to increase the rpms to give a little hope. Any ideas where to look next? going forward t will spin both tracks.

Jbaker1

Ok. I’m really revealing how limited my knowledge base is here. Something does seem to be seizing up in the steering clutch part of this machine. It steers almost too easy. However, if I’m not just on a witch hunt, when the machine starts working fine in reverse the steering becomes all squirrelly. Sometimes won’t steer at all. Could something be sticking?

Jbaker1

JAJ
You asked me earlier: “I am wondering if you have something transmission/driveline related that is loading it up. Do you think that could be a cause?”

In reverse it does seem like the brakes are on. Just moving backwards with the blade up, it will stall if I don’t clutch it.

Another question you asked:
“Does using the hydraulics while sitting still cause enough load to see symptoms?”

Just what am I looking for here?

Jbaker1

You asked me earlier: “I am wondering if you have something transmission/driveline related that is loading it up. Do you think that could be a cause?”

In reverse it does seem like the brakes are on. Just moving backwards with the blade up, it will stall if I don’t clutch it.

“Does using the hydraulics while sitting still cause enough load to see symptoms?”

JAJ

Occupation

Hi sorry I have been at a job where we have no connectivity to anything. Home having a restock and resupply.

So what I was getting at was seeing if you have a problem somewhere other than the engine causing your issue. So something causing the engine to work really hard when it shouldn’t have to, causing black smoke and bogging down.

The hydraulic loading idea was if your Hyd pump might be able to give the engine a bit of a load not related to the driveline. It probably wouldn’t give much if it is a gear pump, but if you pull a couple Hyd levers sitting still and it bogged down and blew smoke I would think it would most likely be an engine lacking power problem. If the engine didnt change note I would think less chance of engine as cause. But this isn’t a perfect test idea and may not give good results anyway.

It sounds like it might be more driveline related if it is only doing it in reverse
now?
The steering issue could be getting you honed in on a possible cause.
So your dozer has a manual gear box and clutch?
What do you mean by steering too easy?
Is your steering system seperate leavers and brake pedals?

I have an old fiat bulldozer that once got a stick wedged up where the brake pedal shaft went in the case causing it to stay locked on, have you checked the brake pedals are returning freely if you have them?