• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel Cost

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Regular is averaging $2.90 and diesel is around $4.90 - $2 a gallon average difference here.

Today jobber delivered 500 gal off-road and 500 gal on-road to the yard haven't seen the price yet.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Terex,

DEF in the frozen north? It’s a nightmare. But, the last couple model years of new equipment, the OEM’s have almost figured it out. We are adding insulation to the lines and installing locally made DEF tank blankets. The logistics of bulk DEF are very challenging. That results in mountains of plastic waste from retail packaging.
Saving the planet, one cardboard box and plastic jug at a time :rolleyes:

I absolutely HATED telehandlers in winter. Direct drive fans and never being worked hard meant they'd have to be parked indoors. Otherwise they never got hot enough to thaw the DEF in order for DEF dosing to start in the required timeframe.

Shimmy1

Otherwise they never got hot enough to thaw the DEF in order for DEF dosing to start in the required timeframe.

I'm sure it varies, but what is the average time to start dosing? It was -2F this morning, it took 2 hours for the indicator on my 290 to turn blue meaning it had reached proper temperature. No codes so I assume it was within parameters?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm sure it varies, but what is the average time to start dosing? It was -2F this morning, it took 2 hours for the indicator on my 290 to turn blue meaning it had reached proper temperature. No codes so I assume it was within parameters?
I thought I had read somewhere in some service literature that dosing had to be started within 40ish minutes of engine start. Its been a few years since I've had to deal with emissions so I'm not as up on it as I used to be.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
$4.89 for unleaded, $5.29 for diesel in Juneau, Alaska. All our fuel comes from the lower 48 by barge. We have some of the cheaper fuel in the state. How fuel in Alaska is cheaper than the lower 48 makes no sense.

Coaldust is the bush over $10 per gallon these days?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Barrelroll,

Howdy. Good to hear you reporting from JNU. I’m not disagreeing with you or calling you out, but I’m pretty sure the last barge of fuel came from Asia. I recently had a texting conversation with the guy that brokered the deal for a ship full of 10 million gallons. It’s been averaging $1.60 to $2.00 a gallon cheaper than pulling from the PNW. That’s one reason your prices have been shockingly reasonable. But, I could be wrong. There might be some domestic in storage.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
You
Barrelroll,

Howdy. Good to hear you reporting from JNU. I’m not disagreeing with you or calling you out, but I’m pretty sure the last barge of fuel came from Asia. I recently had a texting conversation with the guy that brokered the deal for a ship full of 10 million gallons. It’s been averaging $1.60 to $2.00 a gallon cheaper than pulling from the PNW. That’s one reason your prices have been shockingly reasonable. But, I could be wrong. There might be some domestic in storage.

I don't think I have a good source for that assumption it came from the lower 48 and just assumed it. When the boat from Asia comes over is there a bulk storage somewhere the majority heads to?

Coaldust

Occupation
FA954511-7912-4B5F-AAB8-76A7CC87EBF5.jpeg The ship from Asia enters Alaskan waters at a strategic location. Usually, a well protected place from the weather, and meets one or more barge customers for the transfer. Then, we fill the big green tanks, South of town, when the tide is right.

Coaldust

Occupation
Sometimes, the big ship will fill barges out the chain on the way, then hit Western Alaska. The logistics and financing is rather interesting and way above my pay grade. Especially the financing, because banks are being pressured to not do carbon business.