• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Frost!!!

bill onthehill

you should not have a problem with water putting the fire out. I have butchered for 35 years with the fire on top of the ground under the kettles with no problem. You get a little mud but it evaporates most of the moisture out of it the longer it burns. The biggest trouble is keeping the beer from freezing without boiling it! Old roofing tin works good for keeping the heat in also.

wilddanz71

what is a sono tube? :beatsme

They are cardboard forms that we fill with concrete to form cilindrical piers. They are usualy 10"-24" diameters 4' in length
they are used to suport decks, porches, and small buildings.

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
:)thanks, thought it might have been something a bit more technical though with a name like that LoL:D

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I just took the pics, the Public Works Dept was doing the job as it was there baby(anything from the main to the curb box is theirs.) The welder in the pic is our old welder we had for over 25 years, sold it to the guy to do just water pipe thawing. We bought a lil bit smaller one, so couldn't do any more thawing(that was the main reason). I don't know much more about the task but do know in 4 days or so he had water again.

Trbo

Rookie

Dozing in Frost

I am looking at starting a site prep job early this year and I have never worked with frozen surfaces. If there is 6 - 8 inches of frost how will a D6T handle in these conditions?

Thanks

wilddanz71

Well I got the two important tubes in today!!! There was exactly two feet of frost!!! I just scratched at it for awile and finaly broke through!!!!! thanks for the help guys

wilddanz71

it took about 20 minutes on the first hole, but about 30 on the second one!! I just kept scratching away untill I finaly got through

joispoi

It sounds like persistence is the most economical approach on this one.

A 6'' layer of hay works wonders if you can wait a day or two. With the frost being as deep as you say, I´d cover a 10´x 10´area for each tube. If there´s any wind, a tarp on top of the hay will work in your favor.