• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front tire recommendations?

Clawed Backster

Old 2wd Ford 555, occasional use farm hoe. Front tires are totally worn out, to the point that the only good thing that can be said about them is that they hold air. Cords are showing on one of them.
This machine is not going to see more than about 100 hours of use per year, and will rarely have to deal with a fully loaded front bucket.
In other words, I am not interested in spending a bunch of money on high quality name brand tires. What I am looking for is anyone else's experience with the cheap, off brand tires. Are they all about the same, or can someone recommend one that they have had good luck with.

Jonas302

We always ended up with used pickup tires on does't get much cheaper than that 11- 15 on the front? seems like a 31.5-15 was a good match

Otherwise find your small town brick and mortar tire shop that serves farmers they know which of the cheaper tires hold up and the ones not worth buying

Delmer

pick up a spare tire on the rim off craiglist, or local consignment auction. Usually you'll either have one of two common ag bolt patterns, 6 on 6, or 8 on 8 I think. That tire could outlast you if it's a good one. and the new tire could hit steel and be ruined immediately. not too much trouble to change a tire on a backhoe, break the nuts loose, then lift the axle off the ground to change.

Clawed Backster

I saw a pair of brand new heavy duty 16 inch trailer tires on Ebay for $186 with free shipping. They have a weight rating of 3,800 pounds at 100psi, if I recall correctly.

Check Break

I saw a pair of brand new heavy duty 16 inch trailer tires on Ebay for $186 with free shipping. They have a weight rating of 3,800 pounds at 100psi, if I recall correctly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BKT-Rib-F-3-11L-16-F-12PR-2-Tires/303172249403?hash=item469679673b:g:~hEAAOSwQyVc79ZY

When your bucket is carrying 3/4 yd3 you'll wish you spent your money on a decent tire as you will come to the realization you have to replace your front tires again. F3 is the tire tread pattern. 12 is the ply, but 10-s will give you a decade of good service. Titan or Goodyear (Domestic) or BKT (Import). Some of the other imports may be good but I have no experience with them.

Clawed Backster

There is a "Maxdura" 14 ply on Ebay for $128 each with free shipping in 11L-16. That is what I am leaning toward, unless someone on here can tell me of a bad personal experience with that brand.

Check Break

There is a "Maxdura" 14 ply on Ebay for $128 each with free shipping in 11L-16. That is what I am leaning toward, unless someone on here can tell me of a bad personal experience with that brand.

It will probably be fine but your tire guy won't like it. At 14ply, you can almost skip the air.

Check Break

I've got a couple of Harbor Freight tire irons, and while it may take me a while (and be responsible for an expansion of the english language), I figure I can eventually get it done.
With a little care you can use the stabilizer to break the bead. If the wheel is a rusted mess inside, clean it up, especially in the bead, and shoot some Rustoleum primer over it. Another ten years guaranteed. I've switched to metal valve stems. The short ones. Fewer problems long term.

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
The fire front tire I bought was made in India and have to say that thing started crack all over real bad first year it was on, was told they mix clay in the tire compound. Then was told that the china tires were better that work out fine just over 100.00 with free shipping.There is a guy that sells blemish tires out in the mid west but it's hit or miss he sells on ebay. I bought two 19.5 24 rears off him firestone tires new blemish for 150 apiece hell of a deal

Tenwheeler

I like the widest tire that will fit on the machine. The 750-16 14 Ply steel belted Yokahomas that were on the old 680 were tough.
Provided very little floatation. 10.00- 16 used tractor steers were free but the side walls are not much on stumps.
Mixed results with tires from India. Some are great and some not so good but better than China.
Might look at Gensco used aircraft tires. Suggest you buy them mounted unless you are very good and have equipment to do that.

Clawed Backster

Ended up getting a couple of the Maxdura tires off of Ebay. $130 each, with free shipping. Hope they don't end up being crap. They are 14 ply, so mounting them may be a struggle. 20200429_165206.jpg 20200429_165252.jpg 20200429_165226.jpg

Mr580backhoe!

I just picked up the same set for the front of my 580 case from a local garage in my area. I paid $111 a pice for them. They mounted up fairly easily.

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
I have heard that the key is to get the the heavy ply tires 12-14 ply ,I have seen these on ebay as well how are they to mount ? Hate now to buy China stuff now though

Tenwheeler

I do no know anything about those tires. However if you read the sidewall something like this is common. 2 ply sidewall 4 ply tread Same as 8 ply. The old Yokahoma 14? ply tires on the front of my old hoe were tough as nails. Steel belted and the side walls as thick as your thumb. They are not available any more.
Anyone know of any tires like that any more?