• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front Loader Problems

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
thanks guys I will check the hoses out and get back to you the findings

shantax2

Occupation
No longer working due to cancer
Hi Mikey,

I would tend to agree with alrman. I had a similar problem to to yours when I worked in the service department at the Case manufacturing plant in Leeds England back in the 1970`s.
The bolt securing the cylinder packing assembly had come loose and the packing assembly had turned slightly in the cylinder allowing hydraulic oil to leak past. This prevented the cylinder lifting as the oil would pass straight down the cylinder and out of the other end back into the system. The fact that you say that the left hand cylinder is trying to lift the loader seems to confirm this.
I dont want to be a profit of doom but you may find that the cylinder has some damage now, especially if the cylinder packing assembly has turned 90 degrees in the cylinder, it may have scored the inside. If the inside is scored, then oil will tend to pass past the packing whenever it is in the damaged area reducing the effectiveness of the cylinder, but if you are lucky this may not have happened and it will just require the packing reassembling correctly and the bolt securing with Loctite as suggested by Bowen.

Hope this helps

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
Thanks for the info Shantax, I hope it is not that also, I have the valve in the shop getting new o-rings the mechanic thought that would possible be it but if not, OUCH!! that may be a bad one I will let you all know the outcome when it is fixed, and again thank you all for your input and experience

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
You guys are good here LOL!!!
I got the valve back and it was fine, I reinstalled it and bypassed the leveling cylender as the mechanic suggested (the one sitting on the seat right side almost verticle). Same thing, scoops and dumps but, wont lift or lower. It used to be like the left lift cylender was doing all of the work and now it is probly bad also. For proof it wasnt the valve, I changed the hoses around and made scoop and dump to do lift and lower it confirmed it that the problem is the cylinders. Thank you guys again for sharing your experience with us newbies, one day we will be in your shoes LOL!!

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
you were right alrman. it was the cylinder bolt came loose, 185.00 later both have been rebuilt working good now
I did bypass the automatic leveling cylinder, will it be a problem to leave it bypassed do you guys think?

Again thanks for all the help

AMMazen

Hey guys .. new to the forum and was reading your thread . Would anyone have any idea what this type of cylinder is ? I have draglines , dozers and backhoe but have never seen a cylinder this big and heavy . It weighs around 80 to 90 lbs and reconditioned . I am now the owner of this and don't even know what it could go to . Best to my knowledge , it might be a tilt cylinder ? Won't go to anything I own so I was looking to sell it . Would anyone have a clue ?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
you were right alrman. it was the cylinder bolt came loose, 185.00 later both have been rebuilt working good now
I did bypass the automatic leveling cylinder, will it be a problem to leave it bypassed do you guys think?

Again thanks for all the help

Good to know I can still get one right every now & again...........& I would hook up the cylinder again :drinkup

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
AMMazen It would help if you had a picture or at least dimensions for us to go by to identify this cylinder. Look it over for a part number, may be cross referenced to a machine.

AMMazen

I will try to put a pic here ... don't know if they will let me though as I am a new member and all the things won't work yet . Here goes ..... AHhhh nope . How can I do that ? I will go outside tomorrow and get some measurement then . I sure do appreciate you're reply however .

shopguy

I will try to put a pic here ... don't know if they will let me though as I am a new member and all the things won't work yet . Here goes ..... AHhhh nope . How can I do that ? I will go outside tomorrow and get some measurement then . I sure do appreciate you're reply however .
I feel better now i thought it was me eyes. Welcome to the Forum.

shantax2

Occupation
No longer working due to cancer
Hi Mikey1.
You say that you have bypassed the Hydra Leveling Cylinder; did you bypass both or just the one on the affected side?
How have you bypassed it and why did you have the idea of bypassing it/them.
I personally wouldnt bypass these cylinders. They are there for a few reasons. 1: They are linked in to the Anti Rollback system which prevents the bucket from rolling too far back when the bucket is lifted to full height, and dumping the load onto the machine. 2: they are also linked into the Return To Dig system which when activated lowers the bucket to the ground in the correct position for digging.
If you have a service manual for this machine, it has a section for the flow charts for the hydraulic system showing you how the oil flows through the system.
I have a service manual in PDF format that I can let you have if you want. send me an email if you are interested.
Hope this helps.

Terry

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
Thank you for the input Terry, my mechanic thought it was the problem before rebuilding the lift cylinders, so I bypassed it , ( its the one right side of machine while sitting on the seat in front of the brake pedals) it should'nt be too hard for me to hook it back up I hope, it did cost about 25.00 having hoses built to bypass it. I have never used the fron bucket until the rebuild was done so I didnt know if it was needed or not

mbavers

I had a problem with my 580K that was similar. Neither mechanic nor dealer could figure it out. After messing with the various linkage adjustments I noticed that the rollback tube was packed with old caked dirt and not allowing free movement of the rollback tube inside. I cleaned it out and made up a seal for the bolt that goes through them using a homemade curved metal washer and rubber washer. It's been working perfectly ever since.

JGRICCO

Mikey,

I have the same problem with my case 580b, front bucket worked one day , the next day it did not. The bucket tilts etc. the bucket does not lift, it wants to on the right side, when I accelerate it wants to go but wont. What was your outcome?

Thanks

Joe

sheepfoot

You may have a piston packing issue or a loose piston, if you take the two lines loose at the rod end of the lift cylinders, and raise the loader slow, the side that leaks the most oil out will be the bad packing more than likely. You should be able to catch the oil in two 5gal buckets with out to much mess, be careful of oil under pressure. You can also cap off the lines to the cylinder on one side and see if it will raise with one cylinder, then do the other, gets a little messy but do able.

JGRICCO

You may have a piston packing issue or a loose piston, if you take the two lines loose at the rod end of the lift cylinders, and raise the loader slow, the side that leaks the most oil out will be the bad packing more than likely. You should be able to catch the oil in two 5gal buckets with out to much mess, be careful of oil under pressure. You can also cap off the lines to the cylinder on one side and see if it will raise with one cylinder, then do the other, gets a little messy but do able.

Ok thanks I will follow up and let you know.