• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front drive axle ID....International 4x4

motoOzarks

Occupation
self employed
This is not mine.
1700 4x4
Looks as if the axle stays straight and the hub rotates around it in some fashion.
Any body knowledgeable or seen this ?
1055467140_MonstertruckDSCN0924_911.thumb.JPG.4bad7e22fa48919a25fc18cb86fec959.jpg 642103630_MonstersteerDSCN0932_919.thumb.JPG.33cce755512e53b77d90cecfa0cc6ae1.jpg

motoOzarks

Occupation
self employed
Posted 45 minutes ago

I'll wager that Coleman(later American-Coleman) made their own stuff:

http://www.littletongov.org/history/othertopics/coleman.asp

This post poached from OldIHC courtesy of 'Severely Addicted':

Great Link to the Littleton Historical Society! Thanks!

American Coleman apparently was in business until recently. I did a bit of chasing around to determine if parts were still available.

"Coleman (or Holmes) Joint- Invented by Harley Holmes for American Coleman
in the early 1920s, the Coleman joint was and still is a unique
application. A straight axle is used and the hub pivots around it. The
joint pivots in four places but looks like a giant gimbal. The Coleman axle
was used into the 1980s, mostly in big truck applications.'

Coleman Axles were installed in a lot of trucks. You'll know the Coleman Axle by the strange "Power Yoke & Compensating Ring" that it uses out at the wheels instead of the usual u-joints.

In IH's of approx 1970 vintage (the year of our 1700 4x4 Loadstar), Coleman axles were used by IH as follows (that I'm aware of):

FA-57 (used in 1600 Series)
FA-59 (used in 1700 Series) Coleman Model SD9, Steel Stamp ID'd SD9RLH on our housing.

I think the FA-59 / SD9 is a 9,000 Gross Axle Weight Rating axle. I believe the "drop-in unit", or differential/ring & pinion carrier was built by Eaton. I have yet to verify this or determine what Eaton Axle model shares components.

I have parts diagrams and numbers in our Loadstar Parts Catalog.

Get in the hub area and give the rings and yokes some good shaking to assess wear. Ours has needed significant re-bushing and refurbishment. Looks burly enough to go the distance once we get it right, though.

Fun site (Truck Crazy!) with a picture of the axle. Click on the "thumbnail" photo to view larger pic.

http://www.vannattabros.com/truck4a.html

Hope you get that truck, IH's all deserve a good home.

RK-ik

The design of the steering/drive joint is just flat ingenious, the first time I saw the exploded diagram I was in awe once I figgered out how it worked. Didn't realize until now how old the design was, even more impressive!

Truck Shop

Ingenious that you asked a question and already had the answer. That is just flat ingenious.