• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

From Tacoma: Luzon coming down Saturday AM

Good idea to wreck the historic Luzon building?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dualie

it out in Point Richmond. Its really reinforcing my dislike of most things antique and old. Other than historical trucks and heavy equipment.

The architect is a flipping tyrant, Apparently he thinks this is going to be his Taj mahal or Lincoln memorial.

Now were on hold waiting a week and a half for the special zinc primer coating to arrive.

Wolf

it out in Point Richmond. Its really reinforcing my dislike of most things antique and old. Other than historical trucks and heavy equipment.

The architect is a flipping tyrant, Apparently he thinks this is going to be his Taj mahal or Lincoln memorial.

Now were on hold waiting a week and a half for the special zinc primer coating to arrive.

Oh, that's what they call the "plunge," right? I know that POS has been sitting vacant for years. The whole place is like a toxic waste site too. And the new condos they built right next to the tanks at Brick Yard--that is an accident waiting to happen.

what kind of work are you doing on the plunge? They should just tear it down, don't you think?

Last edited:

Dualie

that's the one. IDK about toxic waste its a pretty affluent side of town, NOTHING like the other side of the freeway at all. its definitely the right side of the tracks.

it was closed and left derelict sometime in 2001 i believe not to sure on the dates. Then some vagrants, hobos and wino's moved in and called it home until one of them managed to set the front of it on fire one night around 2005ish. The locals raised a butt load of cash and got some matching government funds, grants and other money to put the thing back together.

you can read about it here http://www.richmondplunge.org/

I'm replacing 100 year old rotted, delaminated steel angles that were hot riveted to channel steel members that support the mezzanine and roof levels. Basically me and my guys hold a rivet buster (2/3rds sized jack hammer/pavement breaker) chest high for 8 hours a day bludgeoning the heads off of rivets. Pretty much torture for every sense your body has. its horrible work but it really wouldn't be half as bad if it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of paper work

right now their waiting on some special zinc primer to arrive from lord knows where so they can prime the larger channels before i erect them. We are also tasked with welding some steel stiffening plates on the bases of all the supporting beam columns where rust has eaten all the way through them.

All in all their dumping close to 8 million bucks into it.

Last edited:

Wolf

that's the one. IDK about toxic waste its a pretty affluent side of town, NOTHING like the other side of the freeway at all. its definitely the right side of the tracks.

it was closed and left derelict sometime in 2001 i believe not to sure on the dates. Then some vagrants, hobos and wino's moved in and called it home until one of them managed to set the front of it on fire one night around 2005ish. The locals raised a butt load of cash and got some matching government funds, grants and other money to put the thing back together.

you can read about it here http://www.richmondplunge.org/

I'm replacing 100 year old rotted, delaminated steel angles that were hot riveted to channel steel members that support the mezzanine and roof levels. Basically me and my guys hold a rivet buster (2/3rds sized jack hammer/pavement breaker) chest high for 8 hours a day bludgeoning the heads off of rivets. Pretty much torture for every sense your body has. its horrible work but it really wouldn't be half as bad if it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of paper work

right now their waiting on some special zinc primer to arrive from lord knows where so they can prime the larger channels before i erect them. We are also tasked with welding some steel stiffening plates on the bases of all the supporting beam columns where rust has eaten all the way through them.

All in all their dumping close to 8 million bucks into it.

Yeah, but drive through the tunnel and there is plenty of toxic waste out there on the waterfront, don't you think?

That's cool that you hooked into some of the bucks being dumped into the Plunge.

I know you think it should just be torn down (I agree), but you should have some satisfaction in knowing that you are receiving some of the bucks raised by all those leaf lickers and tree huggers over in Bezerkely and Point Richmond.

I think you are having the last laugh, Dualie. Nice going, man.

Dualie

I would say the land is clean for about a 1/2 mile radius around the plunge but once you get outside of that radius its Erin Brockovich contaminated. ITs got the rail yard to the east the refinery to the north, the fuel and chemical terminal to the west and the old kaiser shipyards and union carbide plant to the south. Its pretty much the eye of the storm.

Im not complaining right now because work is work, Im not loosing money on it YET but im not making a ton either. Its not that glory work they would put in the recruiting video. Their definitely making me earn my money...