• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

From disgusting to pumping

Eric a1cnc

I just finished rebuilding my first Roosamater pump for my case 350 with 188. With help from the pumpguy. A big thank you!
I just had to see if it would do anything before putting it on the dozer so I set up a ghetto manual test station to see what would happen. I am ecstatic to say it draws fuel up and pumps by turning the shaft with a speed wrench. I wasn't cranking like a mad man either. The pump only had whatever fuel was in it from assembly. It got a new transfer pump liner, new blades, and a new updated governor weight retainer. And of course new o-rings. It started to draw fuel up the inlet line as soon as I started turning the shaft. I can't tell you how happy I am right now. 20201122_112344.jpg 20201125_204054.jpg 20201122_115728.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
While I don’t condone folks without any pump experience diving into a pump.. I sure hope it works on the machine.. BE SURE to tie the throttle lever BACK while fooling w it .. & leave it tied until the drive shaft is installed.. THEN & ONLY THEN can u cut the wire holding the throttle.. good luck..

Eric a1cnc

It is hard to see in the 2nd picture but the throttle is tied back.
I learned why you tie the throttle back the first time I started assembling it and layed the pump down before installing the governor linkage. One of the weights fell out and I had to pull the pump head back out:rolleyes:
I did a lot of research before starting on it. I now have 2 of these engines and a friend has a third so, once I found out what a rebuild could cost it was either learn to do it myself or I would be out of the dozer and backhoe game. Time will tell if it work,s but so far so good. If it stops raining today hopefully I can hook the pump up to the lines and injectors outside to pre-prime the lines. Then hopefully the machine will start without the usual endless cranking.

Eric a1cnc

20201127_175855.jpg I decided to test the whole fuel system out of the tractor. I do not have an injector tester yet but will be ordering one soon. I really wanted to see if the pump would pump and pop the injectors. Clamped the pump in a heavy vise and tried with the speed wrench again. Once the pump was primed I no longer could manually turn it over very fast. It kept stopping I think when the plungers were pushing fuel up the fuel lines. I bled the lines to the injectors well. Then I hooked up a 1/2" drill I have and tried that. Didn't take long and all the injectors were spraying a nice pattern. I did this outside and the injectors were pointing away from me. Pretty stoked right now. I am hoping to install the injectors and pump tomorrow.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Very kool..
Just remember, on the end of the drive shaft that goes in the engine, is a dot..
& inside the pump there’s a dot..
Make sure u install the drive shaft to where the dots meet.. dot to dot.
Cuz it won’t matter how good your o/h is if the dots aren’t together..
You’ll b 180* out of time..
The pump will still pump but not at the correct fireing order..
Good luck.. so far so good..

Eric a1cnc

Thank you for the info. I left the engine at 1 ~tdc. The dots on the gears lined up and the line in the pump was lined up. I forgot to look to see if the dot in the pump lined up with the driveshaft dot. Can the engine be 180 out if the other marks lined up?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
IDK.. I doubt it BUT.. why take the chance.. as long as the pump is still out.. it’s easy enough to check.
Just put the pump in the vise & pull the dr shaft out..

Eric a1cnc

That drive shaft is out of another 188 I am working on. The shaft for the dozer is still in the engine. I hope it is in the right spot

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If it’s not.. reach inside the pump with a long screwdriver and turn the “rotor” until it’s inline w the shaft that’s in the engine..
JUST REMEMBER, DOT TO DOT.!!! & DONT FLIP THE 1st SEAL ON THE DRIVE SHAFT.!!!

Eric a1cnc

Well the good news is the driveshaft dot was in the same place as the pump when I put them together today. I have pretty much everything back together but I couldn't even get any fuel to come out of the tank. I tried blowing back through hoping to clear it so I could drain it. UH UH no way. I pumped all the fuel out and dropped the sediment bowl which the drain valve was stuck on. When I dropped that it was COMPLETELY full of rust/ muck. Cleaning the tank should be fun....20201128_202555.jpg 20201128_202527.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
& u “tried” to start it.?? Holy rust buckets Batman..
Just get yourself a 1 gal oil container & fill it w fuel.. run your inlet & return lines into it.. that’ll b enough to start it.. TIE THE JUG somewhere.. that way you have your hands free..

Eric a1cnc

NO WAY was I going to try running that through my precious pump! I was just trying to get the fuel to flow so I could drain it out easier. And so I could clean the tank.I knew from how the pump looked that the tank would be the same.
Going to borrow a pressure washer from a friend to blast out what I can before ever trying to use the tank again.

Eric a1cnc

Partial victory today. The dozer runs and the hydraulics work fine. There was no movement though. I had checked the shuttle fluid before I ran it and It was up to level. After running it however there is nothing on the stick and no movement at all.
I have a pretty good leak around the throttle shaft though. I put a new o-ring maybe I cut it when I put it together. The weird thing is that #1 wasn't running that well. It was real smoky. I kept bleeding with it running. After forever it sort of picked up. I sprayed a whiff of ether in the air next to the inlet and it cleared up and ran fine until the next time I shut it off and restarted it. Then it took a long time before it cleared up again. I am wondering if the injectors are not spraying well. I saw them spray out of the machine but they are used injectors out of another tractor.