• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Friction Crane Boom Down Issues-Again....

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Just looked at this thread. Someone mentioned lowering the gantry. A old 30 ton P & H a bridge outfit I worked for used back in the day had to have the gantry down before it would lower the boom stub also. The clutch hung up enough to keep it from lowering. Back it off a bit it and it would slip with the boom in. The leverage change with the gantry down allowed it to lower. It was also a very well used/worn machine.

alskdjfhg

Just looked at this thread. Someone mentioned lowering the gantry. A old 30 ton P & H a bridge outfit I worked for used back in the day had to have the gantry down before it would lower the boom stub also. The clutch hung up enough to keep it from lowering. Back it off a bit it and it would slip with the boom in. The leverage change with the gantry down allowed it to lower. It was also a very well used/worn machine.

Thanks, the gantry is still raised so that may be part of the problem.

ryanmueller

IMG_1723.JPG At work we have a p&h 430 which is a 35 ton. When it sits for a while and you boom it up too steep it does the same thing. I hook the block to the outrigger box and give a little tension then it will boom down

td25c

That's a good point ryan .
After a friction crane sets awhile and the drums fuzz up with surface rust they are " grabby" & cantankerous until ya shine them up with some use .

Same way if they are wet or damp .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That's a good point ryan .
After a friction crane sets awhile and the drums fuzz up with surface rust they are " grabby" & cantankerous until ya shine them up with some use .

Same way if they are wet or damp .
Kind of like the old Cat cable control units, wet foggy mornings were always interesting. Lift a can and it went right back down. 10-15 cycles would usually clear it up but not always.

alskdjfhg

As soon as this things gets move over to the shop it'll get used fairly regularly, should be able to keep the clutches shined and fix the little niggling things it needs.

I'm just pretty cautions working on this thing and operating it as I have a healthy respect for the size mess this crane could make if something bad happened.

alskdjfhg

So I'm not gonna say that i move slow, but 3 years latley and maybe in the next 6 months i'll be working on this beast again.....

Boom still doesn't go down, but it's atleast parked in front of the shop on gravel.

So some progress....

Attachments

• 20191201_102324.jpg
    20191201_102324.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 37

Tugger2

Most control problems on the P&H stem from the hyd system. My auto matic reaction when i run a P& H is to pump the lever at least twice to get what i need > Seems the whether its a 325Tc or a 9125

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Most control problems on the P&H stem from the hyd system. My auto matic reaction when i run a P& H is to pump the lever at least twice to get what i need > Seems the whether its a 325Tc or a 9125

P&H equals Pump and Hope.