• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

freightliner fc80 with cummins 5.9 engine...will it tow?

BC Placer gold

Yet another case of trying to use a light duty engine for heavy duty work. Sure a 5.9 can be juiced to do it and it will not make 150000 turned up working its stones off. You need like stated a m11 or a c12.

Personally if I where in your shoes I'd want something 400 plus horses. I like to be to the top of the mountain first!
We have a C12; runs really clean & ‘okay’ hold back on the Jake’s…not like a Cummins but decent. Also really good on fuel for the light loads we haul.

Tyler d4c

We have a C12; runs really clean & ‘okay’ hold back on the Jake’s…not like a Cummins but decent. Also really good on fuel for the light loads we haul.
We've been running on for 13 years in our tandems (same engine in 2 different trucks) set at 445 and 1650 turque witch is it for factory ish settings. Not a complaint other then the liners leaking coolant due to the single liner oring design. Knock on wood the 2 bottles of bars leak is working great. I'd go hope in it and head across the contry this second!