• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Found a old Bobcat 731 project that needs some work

BajaJames

The guy wants $2500 and says it has a good Deitz diesel motor in it. I apparently it doesnt roll and the motor is out of it right now.
I am trying to get the hours and year but here are some pictures in the meantime.

What do you think?

U10eVuh.jpg

giViX4C.jpg

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Go for it! You can do it. A little elbow grease and a couple trips to Autozone for parts and She’ll be like new.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
If it has a Deutz diesel in it, and if the diesel needs work, you need to run. Go find something with a Kubota engine, it will be cheaper to get parts for in the long run.

BajaJames

I have no problems putting in some work (also my father in law is retired and always needs a good side project) Just wondering if this thing is worth it.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Any chance you can see the engine run? Why was is pulled? Any attachments included?

Definitely be resealing that tilt cylinder. I'd go by with a prybar or something to check how worn the pins and bushings are. Check how dry rotted hoses are, backs of the rims for wheel seal leaks, critter nest under the cab, etc. Get an idea where you're starting.

It's going to be a project (and a money pit) no matter what, so it's all up to what you want to do with it. That said, at $2500 and in need of a project I'd be tempted to bring it home myself.

BajaJames

Its about 1hr away. Doesnt roll apparently so loading it might be interesting.
I was told it ran before pulled but I am going to assume it will need to be rebuilt at least.

Probably new seals and possibly pumps.
Probably all new hoses.
Needs tires thats for sure.
If im going to tear it that far down ill probably have it painted.
Ill have to check the pins and bushings.
Might offer less considering what unknowns are out there...

BajaJames

So found out the hours are 2910 as for making an offer he is moving at the end of feb and it just needs to be gone. So i told him considering all the unknows and the knowns ill make an offer.

BajaJames

Now i gotta figure out the logistics of it.
I have a trailer so thats not a problem but getting it on will be the problem

Any way to make the thing roll?

crane operator

Looks like the tires are junk, so getting it to roll isn't really going to help much with getting it loaded. I'd call someone with a wrecker and have them pick the whole thing up, back the trailer under it and set it on. Do the reverse when you get it home.

Vetech63

Early 80’s model. It isn’t going to roll with the drivetrain set-up it has, the tires skidding will not overcome the drive chains and drive motor. If the engine runs it may be a good fixable machine.

BajaJames

thanks. We will probably get the trailer as close as possible and drag it on. My father in law was thinking sliding it on with plywood.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
If you are going to get a wrecker, why not get a roll off and have them drag it onto the deck. They can then tilt the deck at your place, and you can drag it off, if it won't slide off.

BajaJames

Unfortunately a wrecker wpuld cost me more to tow it down here (4hr one way trip) than this thing is worth. There is a forklift there to help load it.
He gettin more pictures.
He said the motor does turn.
I am thinking with 2900 hours more than likely the hydraulic system is still good just will need a good service and probably a few new lines.

Also with those hours the pins and bushings should still be in decent shape right?

jacobd

You're going way too much by hours. I can see what appears to be significant slop in the attachment plate pins from the pictures, and the repair on the boom crossmember doesn't make me optimistic either. That being said if you're willing to put in the work you can probably make a functional machine out of it, just don't expect it to be new.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
You could Flintstones it with plywood and some round posts to roll on if need be.
Don't trust hour meters if you don't know whether they've been replaced or unplugged for any amount of time.

BajaJames

You're going way too much by hours. I can see what appears to be significant slop in the attachment plate pins from the pictures, and the repair on the boom crossmember doesn't make me optimistic either. That being said if you're willing to put in the work you can probably make a functional machine out of it, just don't expect it to be new.

You are probably right, I can hope for the best but will just have to see how it all shakes out. I should have some more pictures and info tomorrow. I found some tires locally that I will probably pickup this weekend.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Worst case, you could probably get your money back by parting it out. If the project becomes a money pit.

Jonas302

Looks like a good machine overall they were solid and simple. The pins and bushings and paint jobs have to wait until you get it running

Were you able to get the story why the engine was removed?

We will be looking forward to the rebuild

BajaJames

Got some more pictures. It has been sitting for a while it is a little worse off. As for cost I might be able to get it for much less as he was going to scrap it when he moves.
At this point the biggest investment will be the drive up there and the time it takes to load it up.

ASaIvrs.jpg

WBtUX5P.jpg

GFBwKOy.jpg

56uPYdZ.jpg

BrBSoI0.jpg

DQ0ptql.jpg

PGccbeF.jpg

17nnPP1.jpg