• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Forestry Mulching, Private vs. Contract Work

Edward Burrus

Thought this would be a good place for discussion before I really started to test out the waters. As of right now, I am a part owner/operator of a forestry mulching company based in SC. We have really started to take on more and more business and want to be able to expand and grow our operation. As of right now, our work has all been private. I'm ready to start bidding jobs for SCDOT and other utility companies in my area.

In your opinion, what do you think is necessary to take this next step? I need to know what this will take on the administrative side as well as operations side. We know we will need a better insurance policy, more employees, more equipment, etc. But if you were ever in this situation, what did you do or what would you have done differently?

Was it worth going big or would you have stuck to private work?

I have a million questions that need to be answered, but I just need a general idea of the process before I really start to consider this next step.

Appreciate all the help.

AzIron

Usually every government job I have been involved with requires a safety paper trail and program and slow pay like 120 day pay is a real possibility those 2 things right there can break a buissness trying to grow

mitch504

I do a lot of work for the State of SC, mostly the DNR. I have been doing it for about 12-15 years. I find them amazingly easy to deal with. I just make sure all my Ts are dotted and my Is are crossed on the invoice, (right PO number, delivery location, etc), email a copy to the responsible manager and mail a copy to accounts payable, then, in about 25 days, I get a check.

I don't remember what the insurance requirements are, but I have a million everywhere and that is sufficient.

What part of SC are you in?