• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford/New Holland 555E question...Gear Shifter

MJE

I am trying to replace the rubber boot on the gear shifter but wondered if I should pull the gear shift lever and spacer off the transmission or somehow wrestle the boot on with the shift lever and spacer in place. If I pull the shift lever and spacer off, which may make it easier to get the boot on...does the shift lever just drop in place then bolt on when reassembling? I fear pulling it off then there being some unexpected issue (alignment etc) putting it back together. I looked at the repair manual and it looks like to boot is on the gear shift when it is inserted thus it may be easier to pull the shifter off then reinsert. I want to avoid creating a bigger repair problem than just a boot if I pull the shifter out so a bit hesitant to blindly pull it out without asking those with experience. Thanks.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
My 675E has the powershift trans, so no first hand experience, MJE. This is all I can find in the manual. Looks easy enough to take the whole thing out if you cannot work it up over the top of the shifter.

upload_2021-7-29_6-42-35.png
upload_2021-7-29_6-42-35.png

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I replaced mine without removing the shifter. I did give in an cut a line in the floor mat from the middle of the shifter to the cab wall. This made pulling the floor mat out of the way easier.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
BUT mine doesn't have the stock knob and switches on it. I was able to just unscrew the knob and slide the new boot on.

I can't find any details on removing the factory knob in the service manual. I think you will have to remove the knob and replace the boot from the top.

Last edited:

MJE

Thanks for the helpful response. I was able to get it on by greasing the shaft, turning the boot inside out and dropping it into hot water. Once on the shaft I turned the boot back to its original orientation and it slid right on...5 minute job.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Glad you got it on.

I guess I assumed it was power shuttle. The picture I posted was for power shuttle shifter.

treborterb

NH575...thanks for this posting cuz it was exactly what I needed to work on my machine.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Good to know this as I am/have been shopping for boots on Amazon. I need to do both the shift (Power shuttle) and the Loader boots.
My I ask where you ended up buying yours?

Thanks in advance.
Randall

MJE

I sold the machine and don’t have the records. most parts I got from Messicks or Broken Tractor

Mike-G

Occupation
Engineer
I have the 555e as well. I was shocked at the price for an oem boot and was not going to be abused like that so I found a constant velocity boot that worked fantastic. The clamps came with it and it is far and away superior to what was on it.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Good on you. Yeah, the price for an OEM is stupid. I can order and return several from Amazon and still save. Where did you buy your, if I may ask? Thanks, R

Mike-G

Occupation
Engineer
Good on you. Yeah, the price for an OEM is stupid. I can order and return several from Amazon and still save. Where did you buy your, if I may ask? Thanks, R
I searched for cv boot vendors and ordered one by the dimension for the upper and lower hole. Larger hole most critical. The clamps compress great and it will not wear out in my lifetime. I knew I would need the part and vendor info to share but I don't know if I have the receipt. I'll look. I may have gotten it off ebay. Search for cv boots and see if they give dimensions of the holes. I think it was five bucks plus shipping.