• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford New Holland 555E cylinder gland change 555E

treborterb

So I have what I believe is a 1997 New Holland 555E and have a curl cylinder that is leaking and will be attempting to change the seals but have run into a problem with the seal kits for this cylinder. Seems that Ford/New Holland changed the gland that goes in that cylinder and because the old style gland is discontinued, so are the rebuild kits for it. Seems that all the currently sold kits are for the new style gland and they do not fit the old gland. I have seen info that explained that the seals should all still available for this gland, so I was wondering does anyone know if the old seal kits are even available or does anyone know where to get the old gland seal kits.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Welcome to New Holland cylinder rebuilding.

I haven't done a curl cylinder yet. SWETS should be along shortly with some guidance.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The catch is different years will encounter different hurdles. My machine was built in 98 and so far every cylinder has gone down a rabbit hole.

This is why I want a paper parts manual with an early copyright.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
So I have what I believe is a 1997 New Holland 555E and have a curl cylinder that is leaking
Are you talking about the front bucket curl or the backhoe bucket curl?

treborterb

So I just got off the phone with my local new holland parts dealer and he has to do more checking but says that depending on the particular backhoe serial number...I might have to buy the piston as well as the gland...rabbit hole...

treborterb

The parts guy did mention something about New Holland bringing back certain cylinder seal kits, but only mentioned it and then quickly changed the subject...hope he doesn't get amnesia when I ask him again about it if my machine happens to be the one that needs both the gland and piston replaced cuz I would rather buy just the seal kit.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company

Attachments

• nh-192726-366892-3483706.pdf
    183.3 KB · Views: 3

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Additional notes:
The gland is not threaded on. There is a wire between the gland and the barrel that will come out as the gland is loosened. You will get a new wire in the kit.
upload_2022-10-25_9-42-55.jpeg

You can see the end of the wire in this pic
upload_2022-10-25_9-44-57.jpeg
This is how I supported it to remove the rod bolt
upload_2022-10-25_9-46-15.jpeg
Cylinder supported. You need to remove the side cover in order to get the lower pin out. That will allow you to pull the rod end off the linkage.
upload_2022-10-25_9-48-28.jpeg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
In my PDF parts manual it lists a version 1 and 2 cylinder but I can't find a serial number split to differentiate which model had which cylinder. If I were a betting man I would bet your hoe has the early cylinder.

FYI your serial number is stamped in the frame on the right side by the engine cover.

Cliff at CEA may have some notes in his book to help you decide. (813) 365-0042
https://cea-services.com/products/85802567-seal-kit-fits-ford?_pos=1&_sid=5ab7d4f90&_ss=r

EDIT: It looks like version 1 has the holes in the face of the gland nut and version 2 has the notches like Swetz's cylinder has.

Loader Control Cylinder
Page 1.88.11/ 1 Kit #85802567

Page 1.88.11/ 2 Kit #85804740

Last edited:

treborterb

Just got off the phone again with the parts dealer and he says that it is not required to buy both the piston shaft and the gland ...but if the gland that is currently in the cylinder has a squared shoulder then it needs to be replaced with a new gland and seal kit...but if it has a rounded shoulder then the gland does not need to be replaced and can be reused with a new seal kit and the gland is $230.00 and the seal kit is another $121.00 so roughly $350.00. If you are lucky enough to already have the correct gland (with the rounded shoulder)...you can purchase just the seal kit, which according to this parts guy now comes in two separate kits...one for each end...$220 for one kit for the gland and $121 for the other end...and thats without the gland. Makes absolutely no sense...may as well get the new gland and seal kit for a little more money. So if I'm LUCKY enough to already have the correct round shouldered gland I can pay almost as much as a new gland AND seal kit.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Just got off the phone again with the parts dealer and he says that it is not required to buy both the piston shaft and the gland ...but if the gland that is currently in the cylinder has a squared shoulder then it needs to be replaced with a new gland and seal kit...but if it has a rounded shoulder then the gland does not need to be replaced and can be reused with a new seal kit and the gland is $230.00 and the seal kit is another $121.00 so roughly $350.00. If you are lucky enough to already have the correct gland (with the rounded shoulder)...you can purchase just the seal kit, which according to this parts guy now comes in two separate kits...one for each end...$220 for one kit for the gland and $121 for the other end...and thats without the gland. Makes absolutely no sense...may as well get the new gland and seal kit for a little more money. So if I'm LUCKY enough to already have the correct round shouldered gland I can pay almost as much as a new gland AND seal kit.

My advice is in line with NH575E...Spend the $35 and take a gamble that you get the correct kit. You do not need the gland nut if you have the version 2. The kit was correct for me.

treborterb

Just hung up with CEA services and by their suggestion ordered the 85804740 seal kit for $34.48, with shipping around $41.50. He was looking at multiple cross references and he even said it was difficult to nail down which seal kit and acknowledged the cluster fox that Ford New Holland made here. But I'll try that before spending the bigger bucks on all that other mess, which I probably will do if the kit fails. Thanks to all who helped and I'll post an update when I get it done...

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
You can look the seals over pretty good without opening the package. CEA will take returns.

When I did my crowd cylinder there were 3 possible kits. I ordered all 3. One had everything but a wiper seal that fit. I returned the 2 kits that wouldn't work and had to order a wiper seal by size off eBay.