• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford LRG425 Ignition Modules Discontinued - Ford 4 Cyl Pinto Industrial Engine

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'm working on a Kohler genset with an LRG425 (Onan equivalent would be a 20ES or GGDB?) that has the ford DIS.

Apparently they discontinued the original ignition controller, and offered a kit to upgrade to an updated one, which has also been totally discontinued/NLA.

The last PN we have is 1U1L-12A297-DA.

Has anybody come up with a solution for this? There has to be a lot of these in sweepers, lifts, etc. besides gensets.

Guys on another forum have come up with a lot of ideas, but nothing specific. But I can see this will be a Big Deal in the future.

TomA

I once got the job of servicing a Cat generator. Cat wanted an arm and a leg for it.
I determined it was a Ford Pinto engine.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have not found anyone who actually has one. When you contact them they all say NLA. If you would not mind posting the sites there may be one I have missed.

excavator

I have not found anyone who actually has one. When you contact them they all say NLA. If you would not mind posting the sites there may be one I have missed.
Interesting, I wondered about that. It seems that anymore companies don't need to actually have an item for them to advertise it. I've dealt with GCIron in the past and also TruPar, I'm sure you've checked E-BAY. Pitt auto always seems to have alot of info, have you talked to them about any possible replacement? It would be interesting to figure out how much different the Ranger pickup unit is since they use the same coils ect. Would have to compare schematics I guess. It's amazing how they just obsolete a part that is used in so many different applications.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'm working on a solution but it is going to take some pain. Unfortunately, the unit that is failed is a long way from the shop. Not a good place to be doing a beta test.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have (sadly) a pinto engine in my IR compressor...got the module at CarQuest.
I will post the engine info and cq part #'s tonite.
Ed

I would love to see what you got. Distributorless is what I am after, though. I don't know if yours has a distributor or not. I believe we can still get all parts for the distributor ones but not many left running these days.

excavator

I would love to see what you got. Distributorless is what I am after, though. I don't know if yours has a distributor or not. I believe we can still get all parts for the distributor ones but not many left running these days.
Have you ever had a camshaft out of a DIS engine? I'm wondering if it still has the distributor gear? If so could you drill the block and convert the DIS engine back to distributor? The casting looks the same, the boss is there just not drilled.

oarwhat

I have this exact engine in my manlift. My problem turned out to be the crankshaft sensor. The sensor was the same as a ford ranger pickup. From what I found the module wasn't the same as the ranger pickup.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
In this case, the sensor is testing good when cranking. But maybe I should throw one on anyway if they are cheap enough. Do you know what year Ranger it crosses to?

Old Doug

If its just a ign module a GM HEI can be wire to do the same thing. Its not that hard to rig any distributor to any engine if you want to bad enough.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If its just a ign module a GM HEI can be wire to do the same thing. Its not that hard to rig any distributor to any engine if you want to bad enough.

There is a distributor drive port on most of these engines but no idea if the oil pump (that's where it is) shaft still has the gear made on it, nor if it would be timed for distributor operation. I have a spare distributor around here somewhere, rob a coil off another one, may run that by the customer if it gets bad enough.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am familiar with that type module and the systems that use it. I guess if we could find a complete distributor, module, coil, and there is a drive gear on the shaft, this might be the most foolproof way to run it. We'll see what the customer says next.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
You got me digging a bit since I'm sure I'll run into this issue at some point. Found the site Burtonpower that has a ton of performance/racing parts for these engines. It looks like they offer parts to convert these engines to distributerless and use ICMs from Omex, specifically the 200 series. This (or something like it on this side of the pond) might be a fix.

http://omextechnology.co.uk/ecu-200.html

excavator

You got me digging a bit since I'm sure I'll run into this issue at some point. Found the site Burtonpower that has a ton of performance/racing parts for these engines. It looks like they offer parts to convert these engines to distributerless and use ICMs from Omex, specifically the 200 series. This (or something like it on this side of the pond) might be a fix.

Interesting.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

I think you win the prize. I will call them Monday.