• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford LRG 425 No Spark

marcus thies

I've got a Ford LRG 425 EFI with no spark. Power and ground to the epm no ground to the coil pack when cranking. Anyone have any ideas?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Does the coil pack have a red/green for power and a couple of yellow/? for timing?

If so, the yellows switch ground when cranking to make the spark. A test light on one of the yellows should flash off and on when cranking and be accompanied by spark. The red/green should have ignition +12v.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If you probe one of the yellows, if it is not grounded, you will see +12v on it, flowing in from the red, through the coil and out the yellow looking for a ground.

The controller provides that ground, so the yellow will be at 0v, and then when it wants the coil to fire, opens the circuit, which causes a spark and the yellow rises back to +12v for the dwell time, and then it grounds again.

So you are saying the yellow is staying at +12v even while cranking?

It could be a sensor problem, not seeing engine rotation, or it could be a controller just not doing its job.

Al E

Did you get it figured out? I'm working on a JLG 600A lift with the same problem. I get a code also, similar to 123 like you're getting but the first short flash is not counted as a 1, it just means you are at the beginning of reading codes. The actual code is 23, "over maximum drive by wire" according to the Ford manual. I can only assume it's a TPS or governor problem but I'm not sure.

Al E

That's interesting, I assume the TPS operates using a 5v reference? Over maximum would suggest a voltage greater than 5V or whatever the base voltage is. Perhaps a wire rubbed through and is touching another wire? Or someone previously swapped a wire. I noticed my machine has a new cam sensor as well as a new crank sensor so they were troubleshooting it before I was lucky enough to acquire it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220324-201429_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220324-201429_Drive.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4

Al E

Well, from what I've been reading in other LRG425 posts it would appear the 123 code is normal and does not indicate a problem.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I work on generators which run a fixed 1800 RPM and sometimes you will see throttle commanded to 102% so it may be normal in some cases. But I do not know about variable speed engines.